We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best use of Roma & Piu Pass

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,033 posts
398 reviews
Save Topic
Best use of Roma & Piu Pass

Greetings.

Working on planning our second trip to Italy next May/June. We took full advantage of the Roma Pass last year, and saved over 10 euro each with it. This year we plan to try the Roma & Piu pass.. and even though the price has gone up some, I believe we can still save some money as we plan to take a day trip to Tivoli seeing both Hadrian's Villa & Villa d'Este.

I'm having trouble deciding the best use of the pass. (Which of the three days to do first so which museums get free entry to maximize use of the pass). And I have a question - will the Roma & Piu Pass cover the cost of bus rides within Tivoli on the local C.A.T. orange busses? (like from Hadrian's Villa to the town square)?

Here was my idea:

Day 1 on the Pass:

- Bus to Hadrian's Village

- Entry to Hadrian's Villa - (6.5 euro) FREE

- CAT Bus to Tivoli (is this covered)?

- Entry to Villa d'Este - (11 euro) FREE

- Bus to Rome

Day 2 on the Pass:

- Castle St. Angelo (reduced price)

- Ara Pacis (reduced price)

- Borghese Gallery (reduced price)

- At least 1 metro ride

- Bus rides to/from Trastevere at night.

Day 3 on the Pass:

- Metro Ride to Cavour Metro Stop

- Bus 118 to Appian Way

- Tomb of Cecelia Metella (reduced price)

- Circus of Maxentius (reduced price)

- Bus back from the Appian Way

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best use of Roma & Piu Pass

The Villa D'Este is usually not 11 euros, but considerably less. The cost has been raised temporarily because of a show that ends next month. This being the case, I would switch days 1 and 2, to get free entrance to the Villa Borghese.

The Roma & Più Pass doesn't cover local transportation outside of Rome, so the bus between Villa Adriana and Villa D'Este shouldn't be covered.

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,033 posts
398 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best use of Roma & Piu Pass

Thanks for the insight! Makes sense to switch the days.

I'm guessing near the entrance to Hadrian's Villa there will be somewhere to purchase a local bus ticket without having to wander too far away. Any idea where to get a ticket, and how far it is from the stop?

Will it be easy enough to tell if the bus is heading towards Tivoli Piazza Garibaldi or continuing on its route in the opposite direction?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,218 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best use of Roma & Piu Pass

The Roma & Piu Pass can also be used for the train from Tivoli back to Rome.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best use of Roma & Piu Pass

I seem to remember that there was a bar near the bus stop. (We drove there, but we saw the bus stop.) Ask the driver if the bus is going to Tivoli Piazza Garibaldi. We haven't been there in quite some time, but there is usually a bar somewhere in the vicinity, anywhere in Italy, and where there is no tobacco shop, the bars usually sell bus tickets.

If worse comes to worst, you could walk up to the main highway (about 20 minutes) and catch the bus from there. There is surely a place there to buy tickets, and buses pass there more frequently.

5. Re: Best use of Roma & Piu Pass

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 07:18