We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome to Herculaneum

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
32 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Rome to Herculaneum

I have booked a trip to Rome at the end of Oct , Im looking for info on bus time tables from Rome to Herculaneum. Do they run on Sundays ?

Id also like to know where to get the bus in Rome to the catacombs and how long ids the trip, is a half day enough time to do the trip ?

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,141 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome to Herculaneum

I would train to Naples, then switch to the Circumvesuviana commuter train (in the same station, lower level) and train to Ercolano.

This recent thread discussing getting to the site may be helpful.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g670330-i20738-k57…

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
32 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome to Herculaneum

Thank you, can you tell me how far Erculano is from Herculaneum , do I need to get a bus from there ?

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome to Herculaneum

Ercolano is the Italian spelling of Herculaneum.

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
6,181 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rome to Herculaneum

Erculano is Herculaneum. Its about a 15 min walk downhill to the site.

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
32 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rome to Herculaneum

Thank you so much, Im also interested in seeing the catacombs outside Rome, any idea as to the bus number or train I can take to see them, how may miles outside Rome and how much time should I allot for the tour.

Thanx

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
32 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rome to Herculaneum

Whats the best way to get from Herculaneum to Pompei and from Pompei back to Rome ? Thanx

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rome to Herculaneum

Pompeii is on the same train line as Herculaneum; you get on the same train, and go a little further, to Pompei Scavi. Then, you get back on, take the train back to Naples, and get a train to Rome there. Sounds like a long day!

There are five Christian catacombs that have regular visits in Rome. Two are north of the city center, and three are south of the center. All are in Rome, at least within the present borders. Do you have any idea which one you'd like to see? If not, here is a link to a topic where I described the three catacombs to the south of the center. In my post, I have a link to a different topic that describes the catacombs to the north of the city, which are the ones that I find most interesting:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k44172…

Edited: 03 October 2012, 21:03
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Rome to Herculaneum

If you have time while in Herculaneum, I would highly recommend the Museo Archeologico Virtuale. Especially if children are along, it is a great way to see what life was like before and after the eruption of Vesuvius. Our son (5 at the time) loved it!

My only word of warning would be to be aware of the timing of trains back to Rome (or Naples, your next destination, etc.). There are express trains that do not stop at Herculaneum, and deciphering the timetables at the station can be a challenge. There is not much around the train station, so asking someone for help is not a guaranteed option. Before you go to Herculaneum I would make a note of the times of local trains that stop at Herculaneum so that when it is time for you to leave, you don't spend a lot of time at the station watching express trains barrel through.

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
32 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rome to Herculaneum

This info is very helpful, am a bit concerned about the trains though !

Very helpful links, thanx

Dundalk, Ireland
Level Contributor
519 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rome to Herculaneum

Mary

I did this trip last month. it`s quite easy..

Train from Rome Termini station to Naples Central..There`s one approx. ever hour. Slowest train about 2 hour`s but there is faster one`s

Check out www.trenitalia.it

When you arrive in Naples Central look for the signs for the CIRCUMVESUVIANA line, it`s on the lower level of the station

You can get your ticket at the booth by the line. I think the platform (binari) is 4 but ask...

Herculaneum (Erculano) is about 10 stops along the line..Watch for station named Erculano (Scavi)

When you come out of the station just walk straight down hill for about 10-15 mins to the site

This site is smaller but much better preserved than Pompei

If you wish to go on to Pompei then catch the Sorrento bound train and get of at Pompei Scavi stop

If you have time then a visit to the Museo Archeologico in Naples is a must. They have all the exibits from both sites..

Please be careful from pickpockets around Naples Station and environs