We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6-Digit ATM Password

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
6-Digit ATM Password

Does anyone know whether a 6 digit ATM password can be used in Italy?

My ATM pin is 6 digit and I read that in Italy a 4 digit is widely used. Can I still use it by typing it the first 4 numbers?? :(

Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: St Peter’s and Sistine...
23,055 reviews
from US$77.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Viewing...
530 reviews
from US$416.80*
Likely To Sell Out
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Tour...
2,846 reviews
from US$125.00*
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
11,644 reviews
from US$58.00*
Bay Village, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,202 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6-Digit ATM Password

We were told the same thing when visiting Italy for the first time in many years back in 2005. Very easy to change my PIN from 6 digits to 4 at my bank, which is what we did before we went. We have been back to Italy 3 times since then and Ireland once and have had no problems with using the ATM machines in either country. I have just left my ATM with a 4 digits since then.

Latina, Italy
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 6-Digit ATM Password

I've been living in Italy for decades and ever since ATMs were invented my password has been 5 digits.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6-Digit ATM Password

I've noticed that if I use my Italian bank card, or my Italian credit card, the ATM "knows" how long the PIN should be and starts processing the transaction when I enter the right number of digits. Italian ATM cards usually have 5-digit PINS, and Italian credit cards usually have four digits.

When I use an American card, however, the ATM first asks what language I want to use, and then requests that I hit "Enter" (actually "Esegui") after entering the PIN. This makes me think that it doesn't expect foreign cards to have any particular length.

Once on this forum, someone who was a tour guide said that Italian ATM machines DID have trouble with long PINs, because they read the cards as credit cards and expect four digits. He said it often happened to Americans he was leading around. I'm skeptical, because the problems could be caused by something else, but ever since then, I've refrained from advising people that there was no need to change their PINs to four digits.

I would like to hear from someone who has successfully used a card with a 6-digit PIN in Italy.

Edited: 04 October 2012, 18:11
4. Re: 6-Digit ATM Password

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 01:18