We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Place besides bank to change large bills to smaller bills/co

Lynchburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
176 posts
201 reviews
Save Topic
Place besides bank to change large bills to smaller bills/co

Hi all! Getting ready to leave for Rome/Lucca/Florence next week (yay!) and I have been seeing a lot about being asked for smaller bills when one presents a large one. I travel to France a lot and there it is possible in the post office to use machines to change larger bills to smaller and/or coins. I know I can go to the bank to do this but is there a place similar to the post office situation in France in Italy? It is really convenient when wanting to do laundry in a self service laundromat for instance. Thanks!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
37 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Place besides bank to change large bills to smaller bills/co

If you have intention to buy some high value items....500 euros notes are good as it's easy to carry.

If not...then 100,50,20,10, 5 euros bills are best for meals, hotel, taxi, trains payment(if you like using cash than card for payment )

One experienced I had...wanted to buy a pair of leather shoes in a big boutique shoe shop....took out a 500 euros bill and this big shop do not have no change for it (shoes cost 150 euros)....waited 1 hour for other customers that might pay in cash so they have the extra cash...no luck as most paid by card.

Came back the next day and still don't have change....

Got it changed in my hotel but they also don't have change and need to go to the bank.

Latina, Italy
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Place besides bank to change large bills to smaller bills/co

KCkim: They probably just didn't want to change it for the reason given in post #8. 500 euros could have been half that cashier's monthly salary.

Edited: 05 October 2012, 16:03
Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
114 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Place besides bank to change large bills to smaller bills/co

Its not just in italy that shops are wary of taking 500 euro notes. To be honest in ireland you rarely see notes of higher value than 50 euro. As previous posters have said the risk of forgeries is too high.

If you are withdrawing cash from an atm it usually gives it to you in either 20 or 50 euro notes. Most shops will be able to give you change from 50 when you buy something.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Place besides bank to change large bills to smaller bills/co

In the US, people are suspicious of any note larger than $20.

Lynchburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
176 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Place besides bank to change large bills to smaller bills/co

Thanks for all of the advice everyone! I love the way the topics evolve! You are right Bvlenci they are suspicious of anything larger than a 20 in the U.S. and sometimes even the 20's since they tend to be frequently counterfeited. I can't wait to be in Italy on Thursday! :)

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
491 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Place besides bank to change large bills to smaller bills/co

In what circumstance do you think you'll be getting large bills and needing to change them to smaller ones?

Unless you're buying a high ticket item... ATMS where you get cash won't be giving out 200 and 500 euro notes.

The largest we got out of an ATM was a 50 euro note and we'd use those at dinner when the bill was above 40 euro and get change.

Lynchburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
176 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Place besides bank to change large bills to smaller bills/co

VT Jedi, We travel in France a lot and they want the EXACT change and really make it uncomfortable for you if you don't have it so I was thinking something similar in Italy given a bunch of posts that I have read saying that they would be asking for exact change. I also wanted to be able to find change for laundromats since we are only bringing carryons so that we don't have to drag luggage everywhere we go. I got all of the answers I needed. Thanks for chiming in!

18. Re: Place besides bank to change large bills to smaller bills/co

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 23:18