We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

catacombs question

Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
catacombs question

I am planning on taking a tour of the Crypts and Catacombs.. this is what the deal is: Please see my questions below.

This fascinating tour takes you to three locations around Rome to reveal crypts and catacombs from different historical eras. Begin with a private visit of the Capuchin Crypt, see the Catacomb of Domitilla, and finish by venturing 20 metres (60 feet) down beneath the Church of San Clemente.

Inclusions :

*Guided tour of Rome's crypts and catacombs

*Admission to the Catacomb of Domitilla and the Church of San Clemente

*Roundtrip transportation via car or minivan

*Commentary from your guide in English

Duration: 3 hours - $80.72 per person

Start time and location:

2:30 PM; at the fountain in the centre of Piazza Barberini

Return time and location:

5:30 PM; outside the Church of San Clemente (situated 300 metres from the Coliseum)

Please ensure you arrive at the meeting point by 2:15 PM. Please ensure you wear comfortable footwear as the ground may be uneven in the catacomb tunnels. A dress code is required for entry into some of the sites on this tour. Knees and shoulders must be covered. This tour is unable to accommodate guests with wheelchairs or mobility impairments. The tour finishes outside the Church of San Clemente, 300 metres from the Coliseum. Commentary is in English only. This tour does not operate on December 25. Participation is complimentary for children younger than 3 years.

1.) Where is the Piazza Barberini andChurch of San Clemente located exactly? I am staying in central Rome near the Trevi Fountain and Spanish steps. Are those 2 locations walking distance?

2.) Do they allow you to take pictures??

3.) Is that a good deal for the money? This is one of the main things my best friend and I would like to see.

Any other advice or input??

Thank you

Stefano's RomeCabs
Historical & Heritage Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Private Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours
Rome Chauffeur
Private Tours, Day Trips, Taxis & Shuttles
Walking Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Taxis & Shuttles
Aim Limo Rome Tours
Private Tours, Taxis & Shuttles
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: catacombs question

No, I don't think it's good value for the money. Someone else asked about this tour a few weeks ago, and here's what I said at that time:

<< There's no point in taking a private tour of a catacomb (1). All of the catacombs require that you take their own tours, so this really just offers you the transportation to the catacomb.

The so-called Capuchin Crypt and the underground areas of the Basilica of San Clemente are both in the center of Rome, and you can easily reach them by walking or taking a bus or taxi.

The Capuchin Crypt doesn't require a tour. It's decorated with bones of dead monks, and what more can you say? It has no historical significance, because it's not ancient and it's not even in its original site. Its value is only the creepiness.

The Basilica of San Clemente is definitely worth a visit, and a guide would be useful here. The first time I went we had a guide from the church, but that was before it was well known, and maybe they don't do that now that lots of people go there. Anyway, if you want a guided tour there, I would get just that, and do the other two things on your own. >>

Afterwards, TABarrett, another Rome forum regular, added that San Clemente has an audio guide you can rent.

Level Contributor
2,035 posts
491 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: catacombs question

I never think these paid tours are worth it - but that's just my opinion.

Catacombs are easy to visit on your own. If going out to the appian way, there are easy bus connections. You can choose between the San Callisto (a favorite for a lot of people), St. Domitilla, or San Sebastiano.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: catacombs question

Domitilla wasn't a saint, just a landowner who sold some land to be used for a cemetery. The same is true of Priscilla, for whom a catacomb on the Via Salaria is named.

4. Re: catacombs question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 22:17