We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which tours are worth the money??

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Which tours are worth the money??

Hi, hoping someone could please advise which tours are worth going on and which ones we should save our money and not do as it is just as easy to do on your own. We are currently looking at doing...Colosseum and underground tour (have been advised can only go underground if on tour?), Catacombs, vatican/sistine chapel and a day tour to pompeii. Are these tours worth while or would we see the same things just as easily and cheaper if we did them on our own? Thanks

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
6 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which tours are worth the money??

The colosseum tour I would defiantly do, my daughter loved it, our family, painful to even say this, hated the Vatican, definitely worth seeing, but it's the biggest tourist trap, loads of gypsies, beggars, vendors, to see the Sistine chapel, you walk through many lovely rooms, all of which are crowed, for what seems like hours. We didn't enjoy it, but I'm glad I saw it. If you want to explore real underground, I can direct you to a small church in town, the fee was six euro for my family, we were the only visitors, and it's one of the oldest churches in Europe, it's basically a church built on top of a church, all the ruins are underground, it was fantastic.

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
370 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which tours are worth the money??

Pompeii is an easy day trip and would be a whole lot less expensive on your own than taking a tour. You'd also have more time there than you'd have on any organized tour. You can hire a guide at the entrance or do an audio tour. Then you can spend more time to see the rest of the site after your tour.

SE England
Level Contributor
41 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which tours are worth the money??

Poptart - which church was that please. It sounds fascinating.

We took tours of things that we couldn't do alone - a food tour, 8am early entry to the Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel, the underground tour at the Colosseum and the Scavi tour.

Next time I might go for an audio guide of the Forum as it was interesting to see but rather meaningless.

canada
Level Contributor
158 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which tours are worth the money??

A tour of the Vatican is definitely worth the money. For one thing, you will avoid the line at the entrance. One could easily spend a month in the Vatican and never see all of its treasures so that is why a good tour is worthwhile. Even so, you will only get the highlights. Take the elevator/steps to the cupola for a fantastic view of Saint Peter's Square. The Vatican is really a huge museum in several buildings so if museums aren't your thing, you may not find it as fascinating as some others do.

smalltown
Level Contributor
22 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which tours are worth the money??

Contact aguidetorome.com

This company made our visit to Vatican outstanding. They cater to small groups and will accommodate your needs and wants.

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
134 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which tours are worth the money??

I could not imagine how different my numerous visits to The Colosseum, Catacombs,Vatican City and Pompeii would have been without an art historian or archeologist! Check out the following small group tours in Rome www.contexttravel.com

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
6 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which tours are worth the money??

@Carrie Ann- This is a link for the church that I mentioned

https:/…4c553ca54623be9a2e820ff4

We found this by accident, we were staying at a B&B across the street from it. Once inside the church, you have to find someone that works there and ask to go into the basement, they charged us a few euro, we went down for about 30 minutes, exciting as we were the only visitors and were able to take photos and allowed my daughter to touch some history.

colorado
Level Contributor
97 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Which tours are worth the money??

San Crisogono is cool because you really feel like you are on an exploration - no one is ever there. San Clemente near the Colosseum has more spectacular excavations, but it is a little less private. No need for a tour guide there, either. Another option is to get a reservation and do the Scavi excavations at St. Peters, which are the most amazing!

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,033 posts
390 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which tours are worth the money??

We took guided tours at the Vatican for the Vatican Museums (the tour offered by the museum itself) and that was worth it.

Also worth it was the guided tour of the colosseum underground/third level.

We didn't take any tours and I wouldn't have paid for any others. It's easy to see and do things in Rome on your own, even more so with a little research so you know what you plan to see and do.

Rick Steves has free audio guides available with an iPhone app (or you can get them from iTunes). They are fantastic, easy to understand and use and very in depth. From things like the Roman Forum to a trastevere walk.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,924 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Which tours are worth the money??

You can't go into any of the catacombs on your own. You must join a tour that they offer but you don't need to book in advance. Just join one of the groups when you get to whichever of the catacombs you choose to visit.

Edited: 12 October 2012, 14:37