We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How fast can you change air carriers?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kalispell, Montana...
Level Contributor
1,239 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
How fast can you change air carriers?

So I was reading the schedule that our travel agent sent us and noticed that we only have 1 hour and 10 minutes in Paris De Gaulle airport to switch from Delta airlines, to Air France (Alitalia Linee Aeree Italiane), we don't plan on having any checked baggage, and it is in January so won't be ask packed, but is that even possible to make the connection?

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,410 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How fast can you change air carriers?

When I have a short connection, I prefer that my bags be checked, because I can speed through the airport unencumbered. Any checked luggage would be picked up in Rome, so you just have to go to the departure gate of your second flight, which often means taking a shuttle and going through security again.

CDG is one airport I hate, and I've nearly missed flights there because of wrong directions and disorganization. My husband refuses to pass through that airport any more. I would say that you have a chance to make the flight, but also a chance of missing it. The most recent time we had a transit at CDG, we asked someone at security it we could be put in an expedited line, because there was very little time before our scheduled departure. He looked at the boarding pass, and said, "Oh, you have PLENTY of time! The gate is just past the security checkpoint. In fact, it was quite some distance, and our names were already being called, and we ended up running down the corridor to the gate (which is a lot easier without a suitcase).

If your flight is on a single itinerary, if you should miss the flight, you'll be put on the next available flight, so don't worry too much.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,052 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How fast can you change air carriers?

Yes...it is possible to make your connection at CDG, even if you have a small carry-on roller. However, as always, it will depend upon your airline getting you to CDG on time. This spring we had a 55 minute switch to make at Frankfurt on our way to Italy (with small carry-on roller). Our flight had an hour and 15 minute delay before take off at SFO...so we knew before we left the ground we were in trouble. The next available flight out Frankfurt to Naples was 6 hours later...which meant we arrived at our destination 8 hours late. I know this little tale won't help you...however, we still had a great time on our vacation!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,052 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How fast can you change air carriers?

I just noticed that you are both using a back-pack, plus a carry-on roller. Just be aware that "(Alitalia Linee Aeree Italiane)" may be a small regional airline, thus a smaller European airplane, and a 21" carry-on will probably have to be checked...and paid for. European carry-ons are much smaller that 21". Check with you travel agent....

Kalispell, Montana...
Level Contributor
1,239 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How fast can you change air carriers?

So I looked up the carry on size for Alitalia Linee Aeree Italiane, and it is 21", 13", 9". which I think is the size of our luggage. The problem is they only allow one bag as opposed to the 2 that delta allows, so we will have to either flatten our backpacks into the luggage or check them which we were trying to avoid doing.

Latina, Italy
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How fast can you change air carriers?

Re # 3: <<Just be aware that "(Alitalia Linee Aeree Italiane)" may be a small regional airline>>

Alitalia only happens to be the main Italian flag carrier and a major among European airlines!

Kalispell, Montana...
Level Contributor
1,239 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How fast can you change air carriers?

It might be a major airline, but they still limit me to 1 carry on bag, where almost all others allow 2 so his point was valid.

Edited: 16 October 2012, 06:22
NY
Level Contributor
3,570 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How fast can you change air carriers?

In my experience Alitalia is more prone to require checking a bag that would be considered carry on for most airlines, and it depends on weight and not only size (and well under the weight limit for a checked bag).

This has happened to me several times even with an 18 inch bag, but they did not charge for checking the bag. This was on good sized aircraft as well.

But this may depend also on the check in agent, or the gate agent and cannot speak to what happens at CDG.

Latina, Italy
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: How fast can you change air carriers?

@ James J. Have a look at the thread "Airlines from US to Rome" today, post #10. Your problem may be solved. (Sorry I'm no good at giving links, but you'll find it).

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,052 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How fast can you change air carriers?

appia670...I am aware that Alitalia is what they call a 'major carrier.' The fact remains that if you have a stop and have to change planes in Europe before you get to your final destination in Italy, it will be on a smaller plane, and if you have a 21" carry-on...the odds are great that you will be required to 'check' it on Alitalia. They may not charge you, but you will have to check it...and as TravelSmith mentions..."even an 18" bag" at times. Whoever, Alitalia seems to be very inconsistent with this policy, (seems to depend on which airport or the personnel or a whim) which makes flying them a pain for those of us who don't like to check our luggage.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,737 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: How fast can you change air carriers?

That may be why my experience with Alitalia is different - I have always flown with them non-stop to my city of choice in Italy - never stopping somewhere else in Europe before getting to Italy. I always only take a carry on and a medium backpack and have never had to check a bag with them - but, again, I've never had a stopover anywhere and had to change planes when I've flown with them.

I always have room in my carry on anyway - if I could only take one bag, I'd just put my backpack inside of it. My carry on never weighs more than 15 pounds so that would never be a problem but I know lots of people don't travel as light as I do. I'm small (5'2") and slight and really can't haul much. Even if I took a bag on wheels, lifting it overhead and trying to get them into overheads was a pain so I switched to a bag without wheels - eliminating right there about 7 or 8 pounds of weight from the wheels/mechanism.