We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rent car and drive north from outskirts of Rome

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
99 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Rent car and drive north from outskirts of Rome

Would appreciate some opinions on where to start driving from on the outskirts of Rome. We will be heading north to Montepulciano on a Saturday in May next year and returning 2 weeks later. I have read some previous posts about renting a car from the Villa Borghese area but to me this still looks like a busy part of Rome. Strangely Hertz won’t take a booking from that office for the 2 weeks we’re looking for stating “the office is not open”.

My first thought was to get a train to Chiusi, renting a car there and then dropping off the car and getting a train back from Orvieto or Terni as we would be returning from Umbria. We will be staying in the Monti area in an apartment prior to our departurewhich would be around a km to Rome Termini. However, I really not keen on each of us dragging a suitcase for that distance so would have been looking at getting a taxi to Termini. Similarly for our return to Rome when we will be staying near Piazza Navona.

So if we are already getting a taxi to exit and return to Rome maybe it would be simpler to just go somewhere a bit further out of town and start driving from there? I was thinking of Via Flaminia Nuova as there is a Hertz and Avis rental station there. Not interested to returning to Fiumicino airport as that’s not economical time or money wise.

Many thanks!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,189 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rent car and drive north from outskirts of Rome

Consider renting the car from the Termini station. It is easy to exit the city fron the Termini location using via Tiburtina to the A1 Hiway. I have done it several time with ease in that the location is well away from any ZTL's and that location has expanded hours.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
8,638 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rent car and drive north from outskirts of Rome

I did rent a car from around Vila Borghesi many years ago and found it quite easy. Last October we picked up our car at the termini and headed for our week just outside the walls of Montepulciano. It was not that bad a drive. if you want to make it real easy on yourself follow my original plan. Take the train to Chiusi and pick your car up there. The train trip is pretty cheap, and getting in and out of Chiusi, could not be more easy. The drive to Montepulciano is quite simple. A very good option IMO.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,506 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rent car and drive north from outskirts of Rome

Chiusi is a good possibility, but the car rental agencies have somewhat limited hours. Check into that before renting from there.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
15,596 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rent car and drive north from outskirts of Rome

we rented a car from the Rome airport and drove north to montalcino--easy peasy.

5. Re: Rent car and drive north from outskirts of Rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2013, 10:17