We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Antica Pesa in Brooklyn!!!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Antica Pesa in Brooklyn!!!

Didn't know where to post this -- NYC or the Rome forum.

tastingtable.com/dispatch_detail/nyc/10928/A…

I find this interesting, not sure if I am excited or apprehensive. In the last few years the trend has been for restaurants that are established in Manhattan go over and set up shop in trendy Brooklyn. And now all the way over from Rome!!!

Do you think this is an isolated thing or part of a new trend?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,899 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Antica Pesa in Brooklyn!!!

I got a "special" invite to this via email a few weeks ago - for a special dinner with free bottle of wine, champagne - all because I had once, a number of years ago reserved online for a dinner at Pier Luigi in Rome - a reservation I ultimately canceled as the quality at Pier Luigi has really taken a turn for the worse (in my opinion). I'm still certain of the link between Pier Luigi and this place - I don't think I've paid close enough attention or something.

I didn't take them up on this email offer for Antica peas - though I still might.

Haven't seen a menu yet. I don't like the celebrity association stuff with restaurants and usually stay away from those places so I'm not inclined to check this out yet - I'd like to read some feedback first.

Who knows if this will be a trend - if it does well, maybe but given the cost of opening a restaurant in NYC, it certainly would be challenging to raise the money.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Antica Pesa in Brooklyn!!!

I don't think there's a connection between Antica Pesa and Pierluigi, beyond that both can be booked through Dining City and both cater to a "celebrity" crowd. I'm not sure NYC needs another of that type, and Antica Pesa may be taking a gamble that it can succeed.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,899 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Antica Pesa in Brooklyn!!!

Oops, what i meant to say was that I wasn't certain of a link between PL and Antica Pesa.

I still feel sad when I think of the Pierluigi I first went to back in the 1990s - it was a real treat - good prices, good food, good service - oh well, nothing good usually lasts forever and it certainly didn't.

I have a few favorite Italian places in NYC - so, I don't think I'll be turning up at this place anytime soon unless I hear from someone I know that the food is well worth checking out.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Antica Pesa in Brooklyn!!!

I'll be in New York on business soon, Momcat. What are some of your favorite Italian restaurants there?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Antica Pesa in Brooklyn!!!

I was going to ask Momcat the same thing!

I generally like batali/bastianich, however I am always left with the feeling that something is missing.

I think the pizza/pasta restaurant at Eataly is the closest thing to authentic Italian in NYC.

the closest experience to Italian food that I have had is at the take out at BuonItalia in Chelsea markets.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,899 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Antica Pesa in Brooklyn!!!

And, see, I really can't even bare being inside Eataly as I find the whole space, concept obnoxious and unappealing. Everyone is different - food is subjective.

Penny - I will PM a few of my choices mostly because this is not the NYC forum.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Antica Pesa in Brooklyn!!!

Yes, Eataly is really annoying, but I try and go when it's no too crowded, I enjoy shopping there and the food is good.

In NY Eataly makes sense to me. What I don't understand is Eataly that just opened in Rome. It seems unnecessary, redundant. Why would I go to Eataly in Rome when surrounded by the real thing?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,899 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Antica Pesa in Brooklyn!!!

Oh, and bvlenci - I sent you a PM with a few suggestions.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Antica Pesa in Brooklyn!!!

Thank you!

rome
Level Contributor
2,201 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Antica Pesa in Brooklyn!!!

MomCat, did they really write you would get free Champagne? Serious question, interests me professionally.