We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Specific Metro Question on Tickets

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Michigan, USA
Level Contributor
595 posts
148 reviews
Save Topic
Specific Metro Question on Tickets

Couple quick clarifications please on Metro Tickets:

a BIT ticket says good for 75 minutes.... does this mean if I can ride one way on the metro and use the same ticket to ride back the opposite way a half hour later (as long as it is all completed within 75 minutes).... or is it good for 75 minutes, but one way only?

a BIG One day Tickets says good for 24 hours on one website I looked at, but then says expires at midnight on the day validated..... If I use it at 9am in the morning....does it expire at midnight the same day or is it good until 9am the next morning (24 hours)?

Finally, I haven't been in Rome in 8 years, and I remember having to buy the tickets at one machine...and then validating it at another....I think I read somewhere that you validate at a "yellow" machine...can someone clarify this for me? Last time I remember just watching everyone in front of me...but I am getting old and its been a while I don't remeber exactly what we did

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Specific Metro Question on Tickets

Just back, we bought a 6 hour ticket to get us down to Ostia Antica ( Roman ruins of a village) We hopped off at a train stop, got on the Rome>Lido line to get there and then did it reverse coming back.

We bought the ticket in the Metro machine in Roma Termini station and as you go thru the turn styles you just feed the ticket through there and take it with you. It beeps and we did this at every stop.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,886 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Specific Metro Question on Tickets

BIT is good for 75 minutes for any travel on metro, bus or tram; in any direction.

BIG expires at midnight.

If your first use of a ticket is on the metro, the ticket is validated as you pass it through the turnstile mechanism. If the first use is on a bus or tram, you must validate it in a machine.

Passo Corese, Italy
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Specific Metro Question on Tickets

You should know that since May 25, 2012, the BIT ticket costs 1,50 E.

Now, it's good for 100 minutes, not 75.

Edited: 06 November 2012, 10:15
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,482 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Specific Metro Question on Tickets

I don't know what Niec bought, as there are no six-hour tickets. The 100 minute tickets cost €1.50. The all-day tickets cost €6 and expire at midnight.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Specific Metro Question on Tickets

May have been mistaken as we discussed if we could get down and back in time but as they cost 6 Euro each I guess she must have decided to buy the 24 hr ones instead.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,482 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Specific Metro Question on Tickets

Yes, if it was 6 euros, it was an all-day ticket. However, it's not a 24-hour ticket; it's good until midnight of the day you first use it. You have to stamp it when you first use it, either on the bus, in the metro turnstile, or in a machine by the track if you first use it on a train. Then you don't stamp it again; in a metro, you have to put it in the turnstile, but if it's already stamped, it doesn't restamp it. Actually, I think the metro turnstile now doesn't even stamp; there's a magnetic strip that is used to indicate the time of first use.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Specific Metro Question on Tickets

Yes sorry about that as I recall I was waiting across from the machine and I thought she said 6 hours but it was probably 6 Euro...well I guess we heard a beep the first time and then all others it just thread it through...thanks for that info bvlenci as I didn't know we only had to thread it through the initial time...and I guess we decided to do it everytime to be on the safe side.

One thing I did check before we left was that the metro ticket was good on the Roma-Lido line from Pirimade also, so that is not a bad price even for up until midnight.

8. Re: Specific Metro Question on Tickets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 November 2013, 10:15