We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scavi Tour

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Salmiyah, Kuwait
Level Contributor
153 posts
Save Topic
Scavi Tour

I am seeing postings for scavi tour. Can anyone please let me know what it is. I am visiting rome on June 2013. Is it covered under roma pass

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scavi Tour

The Scavi tour is of the necropolis below St. Peter's Basilica. You must request permission via email from the Vatican Excavations office - vatican.va/roman_curia/institutions_connecte…

Children under 15 are not allowed, tickets are pre-paid, I think 12 euros these days. We thought it was very interesting when we did the tour. This is one of the few things you absolutely have to have arranged ahead of time.

Anything in Vatican City is not covered by the Roma Pass.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
933 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scavi Tour

My husband and I just took the tour this morning. It's approx 1.5 hours. They only allow about 200-250 per day and usually about 12 per tour. There were only 5 on our tour.

When you email the tour the Scavi Office they indicate the info you must specify in requesting a reservation, such as language, date etc. Then you wait for a response. If they allow you to make a reservation then you pay for it right away.

The area you visit has high humidity and in some places Is small. If you are claustrophobic this may not be for you.

It's as much a spiritual experience as a step back in time. It felt like more than just a tour but that may be something some people are predisposed to.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,049 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scavi Tour

I'm mildly claustrophobic and had no problem on the tour. It was indeed a highlight of our trip to Rome.

Schaumburg, Illinois
Level Contributor
202 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scavi Tour

I've done this tour twice and it thoroughly enjoyed it both times. I am also mildly claustrophobic and had no issues.

I can highly recommend the tour, but would advise you to bring along a small, hand-held fan as it gets a little stuffy.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
31,807 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scavi Tour

In January the price will increase to 13 euros.

It is not covered by the romapass.

Donna

6. Re: Scavi Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 07 November 2012, 11:35
Groves, Texas
Level Contributor
901 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scavi Tour

I just received a confirmation of the date for our planned Scavi Tour in March. I e-mailed them Sunday and got a response today.

NSW
Level Contributor
98 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Scavi Tour

We have a scavi tour booked for the 22nd of December - I had an overnight response, with the email re: payment request forwarded in the following 24 hours. It was all very quick and given that we are only in Rome from the afternoon of the 21st until the morning of the 27th, I was really happy they had room for us!

Salmiyah, Kuwait
Level Contributor
153 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Scavi Tour

Thank You all.

1) How many months ahead of our visit can we book.

2) I am planninmg to visit vatican on Wednesday so papal audience + sistine chapel + st. Peter basilica all to be cobined. Can I do the scavi tour on same day by requesting.

3) what is the best time to do the tour. Morning or evening.

Thank you.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
933 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Scavi Tour

I believe they asks you to specify your dates (plural). When I booked 30 days in advance I got a response and completed the transaction in under 2 hours. I think your best chance is to provide a range of available times and plan your visit around the Scavi Tour if its that important to you.