We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scavi question, please help???

London, United...
8 posts
Save Topic
Scavi question, please help???

The time we have for the tour is 3:45 and the tour itself takes 1 hour and 30 minutes, therefore not allowing us to go to see the rest of the Vatican in time.

Therefore, I was going to book the Vatican for the following day for early morning that way we still miss the queues.

My question is on the scavi tour, do you still gain access to St Peter's Basilica without having a Vatican ticket and if so can you still go into St Peter's Basilica without queuing because of being part of the Scavi tour?

Thanks,

United States
Level Contributor
9,698 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scavi question, please help???

St. Peter's is separate from both the scavi tour and the Vatican Museums. The scavi tour will exit in St. Peter's so you skip the usual security line when entering from the piazza.

TAB

Cornwall, England
Level Contributor
602 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scavi question, please help???

We found that when we did the scavi tour it exited where the tombs are and we felt we were only able to go in the general direction of the crowd and therefore soon found ourselves outside again. It might be that there was another way we could have gone but it wasn't immediately apparent to us.

I also believe entry to St Peter's is free and therefore not connected to the Vatican tour.

Edited: 09 November 2012, 18:56
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,179 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scavi question, please help???

We did the Scavi Tour and it ended up in the tombs below St. Peter's. From there you can go up some stairs into the basilica itself, if memory serves. There is no entrance fee to the basilica and you've already passed through security, so no problems there.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Scavi question, please help???

When I did the Scavi tour, I followed the "crowd" of maybe 12 people from the tombs to outside and up the outdoor stairs into the basilica, without having to stand in line or go through security.

5. Re: Scavi question, please help???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 November 2013, 10:18