We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question re booked scavi tour..

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
scotland
Level Contributor
329 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Question re booked scavi tour..

Hi All,

I am booked on the Scavi tour on the 29th Nov.

Do I need to print off anything regarding my booking or do I just say my name when I get to the Vatican excavations office?

My husband will have a small back pack with him, will we be allowed to take this with us?

Thanks

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
31,405 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question re booked scavi tour..

The backpack will not be allowed inside. Either leave it at the hotel or get there early enough to check it at the baggage check area on the other side of the basilica.

You shouldn't need any type of voucher, I've always just shown up and given my name.

Donna

scotland
Level Contributor
329 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question re booked scavi tour..

Ok thanks for that Donna.

So is the baggage check on the left side of the Basilica? Is this free or is there a charge?

Ann

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
487 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question re booked scavi tour..

Ann,

We just did the tour on Thursday and loved it! I printed out a confirmation letter which I have to show to the Swiss guards before they let you through little gate into the Scavi office.. you have to go through a security check as well in a little police booth next to it.. Once at the scavi office you can either show them your printed email or tell them your names to get the tickets..

Hope this helps :)

scotland
Level Contributor
329 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question re booked scavi tour..

Thanks Mokomoko. :)

United States
Level Contributor
9,571 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question re booked scavi tour..

I have a small day pack and was able to take it with me. It's made out of lightweight shopping back material and I carried it by my side. I also needed to show my reservation to the guards at security. They wont let you go through more than 15 minutes before your tour starts.

TAB

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
31,405 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question re booked scavi tour..

The baggage check is to the right of the basilica as you look at it. The Swiss guards are on the left.

Donna

roanoke, va
Level Contributor
155 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question re booked scavi tour..

I would definitely print off your confirmation and take it with you. There was a lady on our tour who nearly missed it bc the guards did not want to let her through without that piece of paper.

scotland
Level Contributor
329 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Question re booked scavi tour..

Thank you all, I think I will definitely print off my confirmation..

And try and get there early enough to put my bag in the baggage area!

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,054 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Question re booked scavi tour..

And you don't go to the Swiss guards standing at the left of the Basilica. You walk out through the colonnade on the left toward the back of St Peter's. There is a security checkpoint back there where they will look at your confirmation. We first went to the guards that everyone has their pictures taken with--wrong guards. All of us gals had purses, and one guy had a smallish camera bag; nobody had to check anything. But best to be safe than sorry! After the check point, you have to walk the length of St Peter's to get to the tiny little office where you will show your paper and get your tickets.

It was very confusing to me to find everything, even after asking here on TA. Give yourself plenty of time, but also be aware that the security team will not let you through until 10-15 minutes before your entrance time.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
31,405 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Question re booked scavi tour..

saintpetersbasilica.org/Exterior/SP-Square-A…

Number 21- to the left of the basilica- is the entrance for the scavi tour. This is where the Swiss guards will let you through to the office where you check in. You don't need to go through the colonnade. They will let you through then you go to number 28 which is the scavi office.

Donna