We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Handling the summer heat and crowds

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Westminster...
Level Contributor
540 posts
235 reviews
Save Topic
Handling the summer heat and crowds

We were going to go in March, but had to reschedule to late July .Yes, our hotel has air conditioning. Would appreciate any tips on how to set up our days to deal with the heat. It's been 30 years since we lived anywhere that gets that hot. We have good info on what;s open when, so we can plan our major walking for cooler times. Would particularly like tips that can only be learned from experience, such as "go here early or late, building is hot midday" or "this place is a refuge of cool air when nowhere else is".

Coeur D'alene, Idaho
Level Contributor
579 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Handling the summer heat and crowds

We were there (family of 4) in late July, early August -- and of course we were lucky enough to be there during a little heat wave.

Walking around the city isn't a problem. It's hot, but the streets are narrow, the buildings all at least 2 story, and there's plenty of shade. Try to find a market to buy your bottled water and stock up on it. There are street vendors everywhere, but you'll spend 3-4 Euro (a lot!) for one small bottle. Or you can drink from the fountains like the locals. The water is supposed to be cleaner than bottled.

Where we almost succumbed to heat stroke was at the Forum. No shade anywhere and a lot of walking, so go there early.

You'll sweat a lot, you'll get a little tired, but late afternoon gelato and a cold beverage and you'll be ready to go the rest of the night. I loved it -- boiling heat and all.

Harrogate, United...
Level Contributor
318 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Handling the summer heat and crowds

I agree with above post. been from the north of England we're not that used to heat! We went in september and it was boiling! You sweat a lot! Drink plenty of water, The streets are shaded but i still found them clammy.We went to the vatican about 10am and i felt quite faint in there with the crowds and heat, colleseum the same but at least outdoors.and definately agree with the forum comment, no shade at all go to the sights early morning. But do make sure you see them all they are fantastic well worth the heat!

Coeur D'alene, Idaho
Level Contributor
579 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Handling the summer heat and crowds

If you're still following this thread....

Bring sunscreen! We forgot and had to buy some in Rome. Not a huge deal, but it can take some time out of your day when you could be enjoying yourself (and it's pretty expensive).

Pasadena, CA
Level Contributor
472 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Handling the summer heat and crowds

Go to churches in the heat of the afternoon. They are much cooler than other public spaces. If all else fails, do like the locals and take a siesta.