We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transport to catacombs from termini

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
transport to catacombs from termini

Please can you help.

I am travelling to Rome this weekend and want to visit the catacombs, but Google maps is showing no public transport info. Can anyone advise how I should get there from Termini area (actually staying at Hotel Amalifi, near Santa Maria Maggiore). Thank-you.

Sue

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,488 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: transport to catacombs from termini

There are five catacombs in Rome that are normally open to the public. Two are in the northern part of the city, and three in the southern part. Do you know which catacomb you want to visit?

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
26 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: transport to catacombs from termini

Which catacombs is closest to Rome train stations? Which are better?

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,488 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: transport to catacombs from termini

All of the catacombs are different, and which is better would depend on what you want to see.

The easiest to reach from Termini station is the Saint Agnes (Sant'Agnese) catacomb. You would just take the number 90 express bus from Termini station. Tell the driver you want to get off at Sant'Agnese (SAHNT ahn-YAY-zay). Cross the street and enter the walled convent complex. This catacomb is the only one that grew up around the tomb of a Christian martyr. You can see the tomb of Saint Agnes and her foster sister at the end of the catacomb tour. The entrance to the catacomb is inside the interesting 8th century Basilica of Saint Agnes, which is partially underground. On the grounds of the convent, you can also see the 4th century church of Santa Costanza, one of the most intact ancient Roman buildings in the city, along with the Pantheon. It was originally intended as a mausoleum for Santa Costanza, the daughter of the Emperor Constantine, who wanted to be buried near Saint Agnes, but she died while traveling away from Rome and was buried elsewhere. You can also see the ruins (through a fence) of the 4th century basilica built by the Emperor Constantine.

Another catacomb in the north of Rome, the Priscilla (not a saint) catacomb has some of the most beautiful early Christian art of any of the catacombs, including a 4th century chapel decorated by frescoes illustrating Biblical scenes.

South of the center of the city, the Domitilla catacomb also has some beautiful frescoes, but most of them can't be seen.

San Callisto is the most visited catacomb, but that has the disadvantage that you're often part of a very large group, strung out along narrow corridors, making it hard to see or hear the guide. Some guides are better than others at helping to overcome this problem.

Santo Stefano is the third catacomb south of the city. I saw it over ten years ago, and don't remember much about it, but it didn't impress me very much.

All of the catacombs run their own tours, and outside guides can't take you around. The first three I've mentioned rarely have large groups. The first two often have very small groups, practically a private tour.

London
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: transport to catacombs from termini

I really wanted to visit San Callisto. Thanks for your reply.

London
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: transport to catacombs from termini

Thanks very much for your detailed reply. I had originally intended to visit San Callisto but taking note of your comments will go for St Agnes.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,488 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: transport to catacombs from termini

Here are three other posts where I've answered questions about the St. Agnes catacomb. There's nothing of artistic interest inside the catacomb, but I think it certainly has the most interesting story associated with it.

This post has more detailed information about transportation (see post number 3):

tripadvisor.com/…32439197

tripadvisor.com/…14317449

tripadvisor.com/…16119841

Some day I should combine all these bits and pieces into a single post1

Bowling Green, Ohio
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: transport to catacombs from termini

Thank you for the detailed information. I was just about to ask these same questions when I came upon this thread.

HT

Passo Corese, Italy
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: transport to catacombs from termini

You can also reach the St. Agnese catacombs with the B1 branch of the metro.

Get on the B line at Termini (make sure the train is headed towards "Conca d'Oro") and get off at Sant'Agnese/Annibaliano. From there you can reach the church by foot.

Edited: 08 December 2012, 11:41
Texas
Level Contributor
503 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: transport to catacombs from termini

Oh, my gosh. .Your question brings back wonderful memories of our attempt to reach The Catacombs several years ago....this is just a humorous story...we (and none of the people we asked for directions) didn't know the above postings about there being SEVERAL DIFFERENT CATACOMBs....so we thought we knew where we were going. Bus driver said no, directed us to a different bus....passengers overheard and literally got into a shouting match full of "You're crazy" etc etc. We finally got off the bus leaving the bus driver and passengers arguing in Italian. We got our map out, figured it ourselves, got back on another bus, and arrived at...The Catacombs.... Don't know which ones:)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,461 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: transport to catacombs from termini

I believe you can also take the ArcheoBus which loops from Termini to the catackmbs.