We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

vatican - charge?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
185 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
vatican - charge?

hi,

does anyone know how much they charge as an entrance fee? does it included st. peters and sistine chapel? it is better to do a tour? any recommendations? thanks

morgan

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,466 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: vatican - charge?

If I remember correctly, the admission charge to the Vatican Museums was 12 Euro which includes the Sistine Chapel. Entrance to St Peter's is free.

We did a tour last July, (Angel Tours, which I thoroughly recommend) but you can do it yourself with a good guide book or by hiring an audio guide. The queues are longer in the morning - much better to go around 1.00 pm when there should be little or no queue (except on Wednesdays if the Pope is in Rome), but depending on the time of year you visit, please check closing times to make sure that you get chance to see everything. A couple of hours minimum, and even then you will not see everything.

Hope you enjoy Rome as much as we did.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
674 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: vatican - charge?

MorganI apologize for hijacking this post temporarily....

Trish, I tried to ask you some questions earlier on the angel post, but they deleted it (thank God for small miracles). I was wondering if you felt rushed during your Vatican tour, or if you had ample time to ask questions. I know it's a lot to see in one day (and they say 3 hours long, but it usually ends up being closer to 4?) but my knowledge on Roman history is quite limited, and no amount of reading will help me. I'll forget 90% before we get there, and will have lots of questions. : )

I also have read of people on angeltours wearing headphones. Did you have to do this? I thought maybe if was a slightly larger group, or if the noise level in the Vatican was out of control on a particular they might choose to.

Sorry again, Morgan, for butting in here with questions somewhat off-topic, but I wanted to ask these things of Trish.

Thanks!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,466 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: vatican - charge?

Hello PTKeil - sorry I didn't get to see your other post before the thread was deleted.

We did not feel rushed at all during our Vatican Tour - it lasted about four and a half hours, was very tiring (we were there in July when it was very hot weather) but never rushed. There was plenty of time to ask questions - obviously you do not see everything in the museums in four hours but what we did see was pretty impressive.

Our group had fewer than ten people so we were not offered headphones. We could hear our guide well enough without. We had teenagers with us who were not really looking forward to a museum visit, but the guide made it so interesting that they both really enjoyed it.

I am so glad that all the negative posts have not put you off using Angel Tours - hope you enjoy them as much as we did.

Trish

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
674 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: vatican - charge?

Thanks so much for the infoTrish! We absolutely can't wait!

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,578 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: vatican - charge?

Hi PT,

I will also confirm what Trish has told you! We had the most fantastic tour w/ Angel Tours. We met at the Obelisk in St. Peter's Sq. and our 2 guides met us. They carry signs w/ Angels on them, you can't miss them. We had just come off a cruise ship and I had booked 2 tours of 8 each so the reason for the 2 guides. They work w/ small groups and you get the most out of the tour. Our tour started at noontime and lasted approx. 4 hrs. You are absolutely not rushed w/ their tour. Our guide was Liz and she was very knowledgeable about the history of the Vatican, Sistine Chapel, and St. Peter's.

If you want to spend more time in the Vatican and Sistine Chapel, you can do St. Peter's on your own. I personally could have skipped some of the Vatican tour and focused on St. Peter's and Sistine Chapel. I was glad that we had a guide for St. Peter's though because I got so much more out of our visit there.

The day we were there the Pope was going to be appearing at 2 pm for a special Mass at St. Peter's so our tour started w/ St. Peter's first. It was very crowded in St. Peter's Sq. but we moved right along in the queue and it only took us about 15 min. to get to the entrance of St. Peter's. Liz had pre-arranged headsets for this portion of the tour so we had no waiting here either. St. Peter's was very crowded but Liz did a great job navigating the crowds and got us up nice and close to the exhibits. The advantage of having the headsets was that we only heard her voice and you could wander a bit away from the group and still hear her.

We finished up here and walked to the Vatican as a group. It is about a 5-10 min. walk. We purchased our tickets here (E12.00 pp) and off we went. There is a lot of walking in the Vatican and lots of stairs to climb so be sure to wear comfortable shoes. Again, it was crowded because of the Pope's visit but we moved right along and up to the front of all the exhibits. Liz was very patient about making sure all the group was together and didn't rush at all before she started her lecture on the particular exhibit. She gave us plenty of time to view the exhibit after she told us about it. You absolutely do not feeled rushed!

Then on to the Sistine Chapel! It will blow your mind away when you see it. We met in the courtyard just outside the entrance to the Sistine Chapel and Liz gave us a nice explanation of the exhibits we would be viewing. It really helped because when you got inside and she pointed out something you knew what she was talking about. Her presentation was excellent.

When you enter the Sistine Chapel there is no photography allowed or talking either. However, there was talking going on and the guides were constantly telling everyone to be quiet. They have benches along the walls so you can sit and look up at the Frescos on the ceiling. Liz gave us plenty of time to do this and she met us at the back at the exit to the Sistine Chapel. You can either exit there or turn around and go back to the Vatican Museums if you want to see anything else. To be honest, by the time you are finished w/ 4 hours you are mentally and physically exhausted! We did go back to the gift shop at the Vatican Museums and I bought some souvenirs. I got a very nice book about Rome and the Vatican Museums that was very reasonably priced. I also bought 2 pairs of rosary beads for my grandsons.

There is a cafeteria at the Vatican Museums and also a post office if you want to mail any postcards from there.

I know that you will really enjoy your tour w/ Angel Tours. They all speak excellent English and interject lots of humor in their tour.

Have a great trip. Post a report when you return.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
185 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: vatican - charge?

hi everyone,

thank you for the guidance. :) i emailed angel tours. do i have to tip them? they told me it is $25 for the tour and $12 for the entrance fee to the vatican/sistine chapel. it that correct?

thanks again :) morgan

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
674 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: vatican - charge?

I hope you found the info you needed, Morgan.

Thanks May Zee for your report. I never thought about the fact that if you have headsets you can wander a little and still hear. That's actually kind of nice, so you don't have to worry about hovering around the guide all the time. At first I thought it would be kind of impersonal, but now I hope we have them. It's also nice to know that they give you a brief intro before going in. That will be extremely helpful for me organizing my thoughts and piecing it all together.

Most defiinitely will report when I get back!

Thanks again all!

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
674 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: vatican - charge?

Oops, sorry, Morgan. Yes you should probably tip them if you feel they did a great job, especially when the tour lasts longer than originally quoted.

It is 25 EUROS (not dollars) for the two and 12 euros to get in. All tour companies make you pay the entrance fee in addition, unless their prices are exceediingly higher and include it.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,578 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: vatican - charge?

Hi again,

Yes, it is E12.00 pp for entrance fee to Vatican & Sistine Chapel. St. Peter's is free and no charge. I am not sure if they charge for headsets if you are on your own. Would think so. We did not pay for our headsets for St. Peter's tour. Yes, it was very cool having the headsets in St. Peter's. It was very busy there the day we went and it was nice not to hear background noises but only the voice of our tour guide!

It is E25.00 pp for a 3 hr. Angel Tour. We were 4 hours and did not get charged any additional. We did tip because we felt that our tour was so good and we had extra time included in our tour.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,466 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: vatican - charge?

We tipped our guides too, as we were so pleased with their tours. I got the impression that they did not expect a tip, though - we only gave them a few Euros and they seemed really grateful.

Enjoy Rome.

Trish