We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome, Venice, and Florence

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Independence, Kansas
Level Contributor
1,852 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Rome, Venice, and Florence

We fly into Rome and plan to spend 4 nights there, then train to Venice for how many nights? Will two nights be enough since we want to save 3-4 nights for Florence? We have 13 days minus two flight days and want to return to Rome a day or two prior to returning home--allowing enough time in case of a rail strike or other obstacle to travel. It's our first time to Italy but are annual international travelers.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,669 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome, Venice, and Florence

If it's possible, I suggest that you modify your schedule a bit, to avoid an extra change of hotels, with all the packing and unpacking, and checking in and out.

When you get to Rome, I suggest you take a train right away to Florence and spend your three or four nights there at the start of the trip. Then go on to Venice, and finally head back to Rome for the last part of your trip.

You would have to take the Leonardo Express train from the airport to Termini station, and then change to a train for Florence. You can buy both tickets at the airport train station, which is much less chaotic than Termini station in central Rome. There are ticket machines and also a ticket window; the agents usually speak good English. If you use the machine, which has an English option, just put in your destination as Florence, and they'll give you the best tickets, leaving time for the change of trains.

The amount of time to spend in any of these cities depends on what you have in mind for spending your time there. If you don't want to visit many museums or churches, both Florence and Venice can be seen in a fairly short time. You have to add days if you want to make a day trip or two from Florence, or if you want to visit any of the islands in the lagoon when you're in Venice. Remember not to plan anything for the day you travel between cities. These days are best left to just walking around and getting acquainted. If you manage to visit a museum or a few churches on the travel day, it will just give you some bonus time for the other days.

Rome is much bigger than Florence and Venice, and also has more of everything to see. You have to allow the most time for Rome, unless you really just want to walk around and shop there.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,259 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome, Venice, and Florence

Not sure how you intend to plan this but I would say 3 days minimum for

Venice it is small but a lot to see, even without the Islands

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,355 posts
5,585 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome, Venice, and Florence

oprah44

There is some merit to bvlenci thinking that allows for one less hotel change by going straight onward to Florence upon your arrival. I would give serious consideration to this suggesion.

sophie8 is also right. If you have 13 days, it seems sensible to aim for 3 nights in Venice, in my view. There is quite a lot there besides the endless canals and romantic little spots outdoors.

for an 13 (minus 2) day allocation, I might start with something like 6-7 nights for Rome, 3 nights for Florence and 3 for Venice. You could consider a day trip to Naples, Sorrento, Pompeii or others as part of your Rome stay but its not difficult to fill 7 days worth of time there, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Good luck with your travel planning whatever you decide to do and hope you greatly enjoy Italy.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,669 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rome, Venice, and Florence

I think Sophie and Bradjill may have misundstood my meaning, and perhaps Oprah has also misunderstood. My statement regarded just the minimum time to "see" these cities. I assumed that more time would be added, depending on what else the person wanted to see. If someone wants to visit any of the museums, churches, and other marvels of these cities, as well as make day trips, an appropriate number of days should be added.

I would add a minimum of one day for every two museums you want to visit, and count two churches as one museum. You would also have to add time if you want to do more than a little shopping, and, of course, the day trips.

I've noticed that people who have little or no interest in art often report that one day would have been enough for Venice or Florence. I assume they just walk around, see the piazzas, do a little shopping, and then have no idea of how to spend the rest of their time. As always, I think the amount of time to spend in any place depends on the person's interests.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
933 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rome, Venice, and Florence

We just got back from a Florence, Tuscany, Rome trip and followed a suggestion on TA to start in Florence and end in Rome. We flew in and out of Rome. This was the best way to do it imo although if I were doing Venice it would be even better to fly to Rome and leave from Venice or vice versa.

I liked Florence and Tuscany better than Rome so if it were me I would allocate 5 days to Rome and split up the remainder between the other two. I think you should try to balance the time a little more because you don't know what will appeal to you.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,355 posts
5,585 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rome, Venice, and Florence

Well congrats bvlenci..... You made a good point, even when intending to convey a different message. That requires skill! ;-)

Btw... per our little exchange about a week ago on museums. We are off to India for a couple weeks, will be checking out a couple prospects in Dehli that some friends have raved about. Not sure if they will make the list we were sort of composing..... but who knows? If we are off the Rome forum until then, wish you all a Merry Christmas. Always missing Roma.

Edited: 20 December 2012, 13:48
N California
Level Contributor
505 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rome, Venice, and Florence

Given your time frame, it would be much better if you can fly "open jaw", into Venice and out of Rome (or vice versa). Even at the trouble of having an extra hop on a flight, it will make better use of your limited time. Some judicious poking and tweaking of flights and airline partners can often make the cost come out pretty equivalent to the simple round trip flight.

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
129 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rome, Venice, and Florence

We were in Italy in October. We flew into Venice and spent 2 nights, then took the train to Florence and picked up a car. We stayed a week in Tuscany including two day trips into Florence. We parked at Piazza Michelangelo above Florence which worked out great. We then returned the car to Rome and spent five days there before flying out of Rome. This worked out great for us.

St. Petersburg, FL
Level Contributor
209 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rome, Venice, and Florence

We just booked for the same itinerary.

We are flying into Rome and staying 3 nights. Taking the train to Florence fr 3 nights and then taking the train to Venice for 2 nights and flying out of Venice.

I am trying to figure out how to plan our days and nights with the things we really want to see. I am so worried we will be rushed.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,604 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Rome, Venice, and Florence

You will be rushed - but, with careful thought about what your true priorities are, you should make it to those and realize you will not come close to seeing everything you want to see in such a short amount of time in each city.

If you are flying into Rome and counting that as one of your Rome days - you will be disappointed. Coming from Florida means you will likely land sometime in the morning and jet lag will slam you around 3 p.m. If you give into it, take a nap BUT be sure to set your alarm for maybe one hour or you can end up sleeping for many hours and then mess up your internal clock for days.

Jet lag will make you kind of spacey (for lack of a better word) - so, try to stay outside as much as possible, walk around and don't plan anything serious (i.e., a museum) for that day.

Each time you pack up, check out, get to the train station, wait at train station, train travel time, then travel to new hotel - all takes far more hours than you imagine - so, do factor in all that time when figuring out your itinerary.

A good guidebook and a map of the cities will help you get some handle on your time there in advance of your trip.