We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Omnia Card

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
603 posts
104 reviews
Save Topic
Omnia Card

Has anyone bought / used one of these?

Seems a bit pricey at 85 euros per person, but ...

romeandvaticanpass.com/what-you-get/index.ht…

Thanks for your advice.

nancyM

111 replies to this topic
pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
31,302 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Omnia Card

If you think you can visit enough sites to justify the 85 euros they charge for a three day pass then you should get it. Some of us on this forum have done the math and it doesn't come anywhere close to 85 euros for what they give you.

The Math::

They say free entry to Vatican museums and tours: If you purchase a tour on your own it's 32 euros starting in January.

They say free entry into two of the top 5 sites: With the romapass you get free entry into any of the sites covered by the pass. You get to choose the two free ones you wish to visit for 30.00 euros

They offer reduced admission to the other sites: This is also included in the romapass at no additional charge.

They offer a free travelcard for the buses, metro and trams: this is also a part of the romapass for no additional cost.

They say fast track entry to the Vatican sites: This is included in the cost of the Vatican museums tour. You bypass the lines into the museums and use the "tour door" to get into the basilica.

they offer a free HO/HO bus ticket: You can buy this yourself but with only 3 days you won't have time to use it.

They offer an audio guide for some sites: You can rent them on your own when you get to Rome or download free guides off the internet.

Basically, they are selling you a romapass and buying Vatican tickets for you and charging you a lot more money. On top of that they are forcing you to try to see it all in 3 days time. With the romapass you still only have three days but you don't need to try to fit the Vatican into that short three days. You can see that on another day and not over pay to do it.

If you go to their save money tab and look at their costs they are charging you for sites that are free admission.

St. Peter's basilica is free to enter. They offer a "fast track" admission but you still need to go through security and without the "fast track" the line is usually no more than 10 minutes or so long. Is saving 10 minutes worth the 13 euros they are charging you?

They list the colosseum, forum and palatine hill as costing 15.50 and 12.oo euros. They are actually a combo site where one ticket gets you into all three. That ticket is 12 euros, not the 27.50 they will charge.

The Vatican museums/Sistine chapel entry fee is 15.00 euros and allows you to bypass the lines, not the 26.50 they are charging.

Basically, I don't think the pass is worth the money. If you just look at the over charges you can see for yourself.

Donna

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
603 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Omnia Card

Thanks so much. I think I'll take a look at the Romapass and we might not even need that. We will have two toddlers in tow so won't even go to the Vatican Museum as per advice from some of the topics listed here.

nancyM

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
31,302 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Omnia Card

Yes, with very young kids I also recommend skipping the Vatican museums. You might still want to visit the basilica but not the museums.

Donna

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,415 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Omnia Card

Unless you're going to visit at least two of the more expensive museums or archaeological sites in Rome, and also use public transportation a fair amount, the Roma Pass won't really save you any money. You can see the prices of the various places covered by the pass here:

romapass.it/doc/sitiAderentiCostoBiglietti_i…

Tickets on public transport cost €1.50, and are good for 100 minutes, including transfers. The toddlers don't need tickets. If you use public transportation twice a day, the cost for the three-day duration of the Roma Pass would be €9.

maryland
Level Contributor
53 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Omnia Card

just bought for me and my 11 year old.. it s a no brainer for me..it was on sale for 10 pct off so 76 euro and 48 euro for kids ( roma pass 30 euro for kids alone !! )

its $ 4 to print vatican tix at home from web, and a couple euro to print coloseum tix at home ( thats 12 euro for printing !)

2 roma pass would be 60 alone

2 hop on/ off would be at least 40 alone ( i love those and we will get tons of use on that)..and we will use the subways several times ( with out having to buy the tix each time !! i paid 125 euro for the whole package

having everything together with out trying to get them all seperately : priceless !!

clearly one main benefit is having all of this waiting for you on arrival, so you don't have to scramble after flying 4000 miles.. some people seem to dislike these cards.. say theres now way to use everything included..

for me.. its a no brainer

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,736 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Omnia Card

Be sure to look over the metro map - it is not extensive and does not go to much in the center of Rome and the HoHo buses can't fit in many of the very small streets in the center as well.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,415 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Omnia Card

The main problem is that the benefits of the pass are squeezed into too few days. It's not easy to make the Roma Pass pay off in three days, and if you add the Vatican Museums to those three days, it becomes extremely difficult. Likewise, the Roma Pass includes a three-day transport pass, which you wouldn't get much use of if you are using the Hop-on, hop-off bus for two of those three days.

The other problem is that the individual items do NOT add up to the cost of the pass. As Donna has documented, they overstate the cost of some of the benefits, and others are actually free. Since they're giving a 10% discount, they must have realized that people are not likely to buy it at the original price. The time I added up the things that most people would actually use, and that they might be able to fit into three days, I came up with a cost in the high 60-euro range.

The main benefits could be had by buying a Roma Pass (30 euros) and entrance to the Vatican Museums (19 euros, including the reservation fee). It would be hard to get much use of both the Roma Pass and the Hop-on, hop-off bus, but if you really want it, you can get one of the best buses, the Open 110, for less than 20 euros. At the moment, they're having a Christmas promotion, so I can't see the regular prices, but they should be €15 for one day and €18 for two days. Children under 10 ride free, and a family of four (2 adults and two children over age 10) pays only €50.

Children under age 10 ride free on public transportation, so normally one wouldn't buy a Roma Pass for them; it's cheaper to buy separate entrances. They also get a reduced admission to the Vatican Musems. Because of these two things, and the fact that they ride free on the Open 110 hop-on, hop-off bus, your cost comparison is inaccurate. Without the Omnia pass, children under 10 would pay the following for the main benefits of the Omnia pass:

13 euros for the Colosseum (12 + 1 euro reservation fee)

10 euros (being generous) for one other museum covered by the Roma Pass

12 euros for the Vatican museum (8 + 4 for reservation) (Children under 6 enter free).

The hop-on, hop-off bus would be free. Total €35.

Note that for children who are EU citizens, most Rome museums and archaeological sites are free, so no pass would make any sense.

For an adult, if you're going to use the hop-on, hop-off bus a lot, the Roma Pass probably wouldn't pay off The total cost would be:

30 euros for a Roma Pass

19 euros for the Vatican Museums

15 euros for a Hop-on, Hop-off bus, for a total of 64 euros

It look to me to be overpriced even with the discount.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
31,302 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Omnia Card

Hokie, you can have all of it waiting for you without paying 80 euros and without the restriction of using it within a 3 day period. If you think you got a bargain then good for you. I, personally, find the pass too expensive and doesn't give you ample time to take advantage of it's benefits.

As said before, you don't need to buy tickets to the colosseum, you can buy them at the forum or palatine hill and not pay the extra few euros. These tickets are good for two days.

For the Vatican museums, the line in the afternoon is usually very short or non-existant. This means no lines and no extra fees. For Saint Peter's there is just the security line which moves quickly so you don't need to pay the 12 euros they want to skip the lines.

I don't know how you'll find the time to use the HO/HO bus but if that's what you like then you found the perfect solution. I hope it all works out for you but when all is said and done I think you'll find that you don't get nearly the benefit for the cost. You still have to collect the pass once you get to Rome where as if you book things online before going you have everything you need when you get to Rome and don't need to book anything.

The other thing is with the romapass you don't need to book entry into the colosseum, there is no service charge, you just show up and use the card for entry. No lines, no service charge, no brainer.

I've done all the costs above and told you what they're charging you that is more than you would normally pay and what is free that they're charging you for. If you think this pass is a no brainer then I hope it works for you.

Donna

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Zadar
Level Contributor
1,355 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Omnia Card

Hi Donna, you say that the line for the Vatican museum is short or none-existant in the afternoon. Is that only for this time of year? What is it like in late May?

maryland
Level Contributor
53 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Omnia Card

i will be in rome easter week ( was there 2 years ago easter week).. lines are insanely massive ! morning and afternoon

we used the hop on buses and metro alot last time we were there..we will MORE than get our moneys worth on that.. everyone is different

my son is 11.. non eu.. so doesnt look like there are many discounts.. the omnia sight was having a holiday sale for 10% off.. so im paying 126 euro for 2

i dont see the point in arguing good deal/ bad deal.. as i noted

60 euros for 2 roma pass cards

40+ for 2 hop on / off buses for 2 days

$30 + for 2 vatican passes printed..thats $130 .. i saved.. and one click i have all of it done already.. not to mention audio guides and metro passes

to each their own.. we are excited

Reply to: Omnia Card
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted