We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Vatican on a Saturday with a Scavi Tour

Ft. Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
6 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Vatican on a Saturday with a Scavi Tour

I will be arriving at 9:00am at the airport FCO and hotel is near the Vatican. I have a Scavi Tour reservation for 2:45pm. Know that the Vatican Museum closes at 6:00pm on Saturday with last entrance at 4:00pm. Any suggestions on how I can see the Vatican Museum, Sistine Chapel and Basilica on that day. Leaving Rome on Monday morning. So Saturday I have to try to cover the most at the Vatican SUPER EXCITED for Trip in March 2013.

Mentioned in this post
Fiumicino Airport
Fiumicino Airport
Fiumicino, Italy
Vatican
Vatican
239 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Sistine Chapel
Sistine Chapel
16,144 Reviews
Vatican City, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
37,573 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Vatican on a Saturday with a Scavi Tour

You could try to do a quick visit to the museums after you check into your hotel but you won't have much time and will need to try to rush through it in order to make your scavi tour on time.

I would save the museums for another trip.

Donna

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Vatican on a Saturday with a Scavi Tour

I think you're trying to fit way too much into a very short time in Rome. I agree with Donna. I would visit the Basilica after the tour, which ends in the crypt of the Basilica, so you don't have to go through security again, and save the Museums for another trip. Even those who have more time probably shouldn't try to see the Basilica, the Vatican Necropolis (scavi) and the Museums all on one day. I never schedule anything else on the day I visit the Vatican Museums, because it's the most exhausting visit I've ever done anywhere in the world. I definitely wouldn't try to visit it on the day I arrived in Italy after an overnight transatlantic flight. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't schedule any tours on that day, myself.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Vatican Necropolis
Vatican Necropolis
710 Reviews
Vatican City, Italy
Vatican Museums
Vatican Museums
31,156 Reviews
Vatican City, Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
Summersville, West...
Level Contributor
1,383 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Vatican on a Saturday with a Scavi Tour

May I jump in? We also want to do the Scavi tour and plan on doing the museum and bascilla the same day after having arrived in Rome the day before and getting a good night's rest. Should we do the Scavi tour first, then go on to the Bascilla since we will be in its crypt, and then do the museum? Do we buy another ticket to go on to the next part of the trip? If so, how do we go about buying it? ex. on-line, etc. We do plan on buying a Roma Pass. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Roma Boutique Hotel
Roma Boutique Hotel
651 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Vatican on a Saturday with a Scavi Tour

I would still counsel against visiting all three in the same day. I know that if I tried to do it, I wouldn't enjoy more than the first two hours of what would be at least a six-hour marathon.

One problem is that you can't decide when to do the tour of the necropolis. It would be ideal to plan that visit for the early morning, but in reality, you have to request the tour by indicating what days you'd be available, and they tell you when you can do it. Then you have to figure out how to shoehorn the other things around the tour.

In any case, the Necropolis tour and the Vatican Museums have to be scheduled separately.

The last time I went to the Vatican Museums, the only other thing I did the same day was visit the Terme di Caracalla, which is an easy, relaxing visit, in the open air, and still my husband said I had planned too much for the same day; the only thing he wanted to do after the Vatican Museums was take a long nap. And that was not the first visit for either of us.

Mentioned in this post
Vatican Museums
Vatican Museums
31,156 Reviews
Vatican City, Italy
Terme di Caracalla
Terme di Caracalla
2,010 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Summersville, West...
Level Contributor
1,383 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Vatican on a Saturday with a Scavi Tour

bvlenci, thank you so much for your words of wisdom. I truly appreciate your educated thoughts. Happy New Year!

6. Re: Visiting Vatican on a Saturday with a Scavi Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 January 2014, 10:16