We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help best location to see Rome?

SOUTH EAST
Level Contributor
10 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Help best location to see Rome?

Hi can anyone help please, I am finding looking for a hotel in Rome a bit confusing? I can't walk too far so I am wondering what the best location is for a hotel. My husband really wants to see the Vatican but we would also like to see other sights. Many of the hotels seem to be quite a way out of the city centre. Should we stay near the Vatican or in the city centre - and where. Any help would be really very much appreciated. Thank you

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Help best location to see Rome?

No matter where you stay in Rome, you will have to do a lot of walking --- the Vatican Museum in itself requires a lot of walking and stairs.

The most central locations are Trevi, Pantheon, Navona and Campo de Fiori.

If you stay near the Vatican, Prati would be your best choice--- but then you will need public transport or taxis to see the rest of the city.

Other locations which are on the edge of the center would be Colisseum, Trastevere or Termini/Repubblica area.

Always check exact street address before booking to make sure you are near the sights or transportation --- and have a look on google maps, especially street view.

Try venere.com and plug in neighborhood and budget.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,193 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help best location to see Rome?

Stay at a hotel in the center, with the Pantheon being smack in the center of the major sights. Take taxis, if you can afford them. They're usually in the 10 to 20 E a ride price range.

Camberley, United...
Level Contributor
182 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help best location to see Rome?

I cannot stress enough the benefit of staying in Central Storico. We recently stayed in the Hotel Campo de Fiori (se review) and found that nothing, including the Vatican was more than a 25 minute walk. The downside is that staying in the centre the room rates are on the high side - but worth it IMHO.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help best location to see Rome?

If you have trouble walking, and if your husband is willing and able to push you, you might want to look into requesting a wheelchair at the Vatican Museums, which are huge, and the Sistine Chapel is at the end of a very long walk, plus you usually have to walk back to the entrance to get out, and then walk all around the outside of the walls to get to St. Peter's Basilica. (There's a shortcut to the Basilica, but it's only available to tour groups, and it still doesn't avoid the long walk to the Sistine Chapel.)

…vatican.va/3_EN/…MV_Info_Servizi.html

If you only want to visit St. Peter's Basilica, that's another matter. It's also huge, but you can see a lot without walking all over.

5. Re: Help best location to see Rome?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 January 2014, 10:17