We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day in Rome

australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
One day in Rome

Fortunately I am to travel to Rome in April...unfortunately it is for one day only. Arriving approx. 9am and leaving approx. 7pm. I was keen on seeing Colosseum, Trevvi Fountain, Piazza Navona, Panthenon, Castel Sant Angelo and Barberini Gallery.

Am I aiming too high? What should I consider taking out if I can't pack this all into one day?

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day in Rome

I think it's quite a reasonable plan for spending ten hours in Rome.

You could save a lot of time by viewing the Colosseum from the outside, without entering. In my opinion, it's really more impressive from the outside, anyway. You could even have a little time to walk along Via dei Fori Imperiali to see some more of the ancient ruins of Rome: the Roman Forum is on one side of the street, and the Imperial Forums, Trajan's Column, and Trajan's Market on the other side. The Arch of Constantine is in the immediate vicinity of the Colosseum.

After leaving the Colosseum, you can go to Castel Sant'Angelo. I suggest you take a taxi to save time and simplify the trip. I assume you want to go to the top terrace to see the view of Rome.

Then, I would go to Piazza Navona. You could walk, as it's only about a ten minute walk, through the historic center of Rome. From there, the Pantheon is less than five minutes's walk; be sure to go inside, as you can't really appreciate the dome from outside. Trevi Fountain another ten minutes' walk from the Pantheon. The pedestrian way is well marked with brown signs.

The Barberini Gallery is very near Trevi Fountain, so you could decide then if there's time for a visit. The tickets are inexpensive, it's never crowded, and it's one of my favorite museums in Rome; I think even an hour there would be worth the €7.

If you're leaving Rome by train, you can get a metro to Termini station from the Barberini stop, near the Gallery.

I would allow an hour and a half for the Colosseum and vicinity, an hour for the visit to Castel Sant'Angelo, an hour or so for the walk from Piazza Navona to Trevi Fountain (with a stop at the Pantheon), and maybe two hours at the Barberini Gallery. Altogether, the itinerary should take 6-7 hours, leaving you time for lunch somewhere. I would suggest you eat somewhere in the area of the Pantheon, although avoid the restaurants right in that vicinity, and explore some of the side streets.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day in Rome

thank you for all the info on Rome in 10 hrs..sounds great and hope to see everything and more as we want to be there for about a week..can't wait..

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
908 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day in Rome

I agree about not skipping the forums. I would take a quick walk through these areas as they are my favorite in Rome!!

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One day in Rome

Actually, although everyone flocks to the Colosseum, I think the Roman Forum and Palatine Hill are more interesting, especially for anyone interested in history. However, for someone who has only one day in Rome, I wouldn't enter any of these sites, just view them from the street. You can see quite a lot of the Roman Forum from Via dei Fori Imperiali. You can also get great views from the Campidoglio, a piazza above the Roman Forum, by walking around to the side of the central building on the piazza.

australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One day in Rome

Thank you so much for your information! It is very thorough and informative and most importantly positive (alot of people keep saying, you can't do Rome in day - but it's all the time I have) I can't wait for my trip to Europe :)

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One day in Rome

Well, I've spent innumerable days in Rome and still haven't seen everything I want to see there, but I realize that people don't always have the luxury of time.

A while ago, a Turkish schoolteacher who was taking his class somewhere (the Netherlands, I think) had a long layover in Rome and asked advice on this forum about what he might be able to do with his students during the hours he had in Rome. Some people advised him not to leave the airport, and even I thought it would take a lot of courage to take a bunch of tired middle school students, who had been cooped up on a plane, into Rome on the train. However, I suggested a short itinerary, which included the visit from the outside to the ancient Roman sites, a quick walk through the center, and a stop at St. Peter's Square. He managed to do it, and even a few things I hadn't suggested, and was very pleased with how it went. I'm sure it was a great experience for his class, and some of them probably will return one day when they're older.

In your case, just remember to throw a coin in Trevi Fountain!

australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One day in Rome

So I've recently returned from my May Europe trip and wanted to thank 'bvlenci' for their amazing advice!

Just in case anyone is searching and interested this is what I did: -

viewed the Colosseum from the outside as suggested (I didn't feel like I missed out, it was damn well impressive from the outside)

then I saw the palatine hill and the roman forum as suggested (I was actually so enthralled by this that I went right into the area and explored all the ruins ontop of the hill, then came down and walked through the roman forum so I could see it all up close. it was amazing)

I then was so caught up in the excitement that I forgot to read my directions and walked to trevi fountain. This meant that I then went to piazza navona followed by castel sant'angelo (so doing the recommended sights but backwards). It was an easy, fun walk between these 3 with great sights along the way (panthenon included) but I definitely should have read my directions and gone to castel santangelo first!! Because from there I was heading to the Barberini Gallery (which is crazy close to Trevi fountain).

But oh well, silly me. I ended up walking north, to the closest subway and catching that back across to Barberini. The gallery was all I was advised it would be - inexpensive, not crowded and beautiful ceiling paintings. It was a small but enthralling gallery. Then as directed, the gallery was right next to my train station - perfect!

I think that the time line that 'bvleci' indicated was spot on, except because I went into the Forum that obviously took longer. I was likely there for 2 - 3 hours seeing colosseum, forum and all the ruins. I took that time away from the Barberini Gallery and ended up only having an hour there (which wasn't enough time, as suggested two would have been perfect).

So thanks again for the advice and the positive attitude that I COULD do all I wanted to do in Rome in one day :)

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One day in Rome

Thanks for reporting back, Babyfish! It's always a great help to others. I'm glad you saw all you wanted to see, and hope you'll be able to return soon.

I just want to add that if someone has only one day in Rome, this is a good itinerary to follow. It would be easy to modify it to visit St. Peter's Square and the Basilica by leaving out either Castel Sant'Angelo or the Barberini Gallery. For those who want to include an art museum, but who don't have time for the Vatican Museums, the Barberini Gallery is one of the best choices. It really isn't very small; Babyfish didn't have time to see all of it. It has a real treasury of Italian paintings from late medieval times to early modern times. Almost all of the famous Italian Renaissance artists are represented there.

Two other museums I would recommend for a short visit are the Capitoline Museums and Palazzo Massimo alle Terme (one of the sites of the National Roman Museum). These two focus more on ancient art. All three museums are very near other sites you would probably be visiting or passing through. The Capitoline Museums are right above the Roman Forum; Palazzo Massimo is very near Termini station; and, as Babyfish said, the Barberini Gallery is very near Trevi Fountain. The Capitoline Museums is sometimes a bit crowded when there's a special exhibit on, and it costs more than the other two, which are both quite inexpensive and which have never been crowded when I was there.

9. Re: One day in Rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2014, 06:17