We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clean & safe hotel in Rome for single woman traveler?

napa
Level Contributor
21 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Clean & safe hotel in Rome for single woman traveler?

I will be be in Rome by myself for a week, I am looking for a clean safe hotel, no frills is ok but want the prime area for walking, touring and restaurants. I would like to walk most tourist places. Any suggestions?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,501 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Clean & safe hotel in Rome for single woman traveler?

Providing a per night budget will allow people to provide better suggestions.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,261 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Clean & safe hotel in Rome for single woman traveler?

There is nowhere in central Rome that is unsafe, and I have not yet found a hotel in Italy that was dirty.

The most central area is around Piazza Navona and the Pantheon. You could try looking on www.venere.com

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
1,529 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Clean & safe hotel in Rome for single woman traveler?

I had a great stay in May 2011 at B&B Al Centro di Roma. Steps from the Pantheon, transport, etc. But as others have said, Italy is very safe for women.

san francisco
Level Contributor
1,770 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Clean & safe hotel in Rome for single woman traveler?

Hi dianneginappa, I have stayed at the Daphne Inn many times when I relatively new to Rome. They provide great services: cell phones, reservations, arranging tours, tickets, whatever. If you do not speak Italian and Rome is new to you I would make sure to find a place where the Hotel people speak English. I would not stay around the train station area in Rome as a single woman. I have stayed around the Pantheon, Piazza Navona and the Colossium. I do recommend them but noise can be a problem sometimes in these areas. The Colosium area is a little far out from the center. The Daphne is off Piazza Barberini which is not as dramatically beautiful as Piazza Navona but is within an easy bus ride or a long walk. It is close to the Spanish Steps and the Trevi Fountain and right off Via Venato It is a little pricey, but for the service they provide it is worth it. They also serve a wonderful breakfast.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Clean & safe hotel in Rome for single woman traveler?

I have stayed near Termini station many times as a single women, and my daughters have also done so. It's not the most charming part of town, but it's perfectly safe, and very convenient for buses and metro. The southern side is within easy walking distance of the Colosseum and Roman Forum, and the northern side is a fairly easy walk from the Spanish Steps and Trevi Fountain. I usually stay in this small hotel, which is very basic, but clean and comfortable:

www.hostelsclub.com/hostel-en-20584.html

(They have their own website, but it seems to be out of commission at the moment.)

It's one of several small hotels in the same building, The building has an elevator, which is rare in cheap hotels, and their is functional air conditioning in the summer. The beds are very comfortable, better than in some 4-star hotels I've stayed in, and the whole place is very clean. It's always been quiet when I've been there, although loud guests wouldn't be the fault of the hotel.

The nice and helpful family that manages the hotel live on the premises, and are available for emergencies even when the desk is not manned. This is another rare thing for cheap hotels. They don't serve breakfast, but there are lots of bars and breakfast places in the vicinity and at Termini station.

I've also stayed in this hotel on the northern side of the station:

http://www.booking.com/hotel/it/romae.it.html

They often have very good prices in the off season, but at their high season prices, I prefer the Lucia.

Edited: 03 January 2013, 09:11
napa
Level Contributor
21 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Clean & safe hotel in Rome for single woman traveler?

Thank you!

napa
Level Contributor
21 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Clean & safe hotel in Rome for single woman traveler?

thank you, great information, just what I was hoping for.

napa
Level Contributor
21 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Clean & safe hotel in Rome for single woman traveler?

Thanks!

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Clean & safe hotel in Rome for single woman traveler?

Another place to consider would be the International Women's House, in Trastevere:

…altervista.org/foresteria_uk.htm

I've never stayed there, as it's been fully booked the times I've tried. It's in an excellent location, an easy (and very pleasant) walk to Piazza Navona, and to all the interesting places in Trastevere.

10. Re: Clean & safe hotel in Rome for single woman traveler?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2014, 03:17