We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome vs. Florence?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Colorado
Level Contributor
863 posts
Save Topic
Rome vs. Florence?

What are your thoughts. I have 4 days in Rome and leave the morning of the 5th day. Should I just stay in Rome the whole time and explore and see as much as I can or should I go over to Florence for a day and half and miss some of Rome? What are your thoughts on this idea?

Thanks

Carmel, California
Level Contributor
549 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome vs. Florence?

In a word, YES... since you only have 4 days, stay in Rome, as 4 days is nearly not enough for Rome, let alone for a 1 1/2 hour (fast train each way) jaunt to Florence.

new york, NY
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome vs. Florence?

I would stay in Rome. The train ride to Florence and back would eat up precious time and there is a lot to see/do in Rome. This way you have a reason to come back to Italy to visit Florence.

coxs creek, kentucky
Level Contributor
4,310 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome vs. Florence?

I also agree. Four days in Rome will go by so quickly and you will still be wanting to see more !! Also, to go to Florence for a day would be a grave injustice to that wonderful city. You would be able to say that you were there but you wouldn't be able to even begin to see it. It is three hours round trip by train and that doesn't count the amount of time to get to the station and the wait beforehand for the train to arrive. I was in Italy for 9 days and I went to only two cities-Rome and Florence- and I did not hardly scratch the surface of either one. We wanted to do a couple more daytrips but after being there we knew that it would not be wise for us. We would have missed even more of the two beautiful cities!! BTW- I cried like a baby when we left Rome and Florence was the real reason that I even went to Italy !

Halifax
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Rome vs. Florence?

Diddo...my vote goes to Rome.

Omaha, NE
Level Contributor
403 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rome vs. Florence?

Yikes, I'm glad I read this post. We're thinking of doing three days in Rome, two days in Florence. Maybe we'll rethink this, though.

Thanks for posting your question!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,770 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rome vs. Florence?

You can spend weeks in Rome and not see it all. I wouldn't waste any time commuting back and forth. Stay in Rome. If you are fortunate enough to make it back to Italy, Floience is another trip in itself. Enjoy!!

Colorado
Level Contributor
863 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Rome vs. Florence?

Wow thanks everyone for your posts. You all made good points I suppose I'll have to miss Florence this time around. But your right it gives me an excuse to come back!!! Only 10 days to go, I can't wait!!!