We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary for 5 days in Rome

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Itinerary for 5 days in Rome

Hello all !!

We will be on Rome next March, for 5 days. I have a general itinerary for the activities for those days. We are not setting specific times for each activity because we want to be free to wander around and not be stressed about having to be somewhere at X time. We have tried to accomodate each day with the sights that are close to each other, but we have been having trouble with this because we have no idea how really close or not sights are from each other, and also we don't know how long it takes to visit each place. I would appreciate any help or ideas to improve it. We are not big fans of museums.

Monday 18: Arrival at 08:00 am and check in at Hotel. Lunch. Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, Pantheon, Piazza Navona, Campo dei Fiori, Jewish Ghetto.

Tuesday 19: Colisseum, Roman Forum, Palatine Hill, Arch of Constantine, Vittorio Emanuele II Monument, Basilica of San Clemente, Piazza Venecia, Saint Peter in Chains.

Wednesday 20: Vatican Museums, Sixtine Chapel and St Peter's Basilica. Castel Saint Angelo, Trastevere neighborhood.

Thursday 21: One day tour: Villa d'Este, Tuscany, Florence, or someplace else.

Friday 22: "Piazza del Popolo, Santa Maria del Popolo, Villa Borghese, Via del Corso, Via dei Condotti. Flight out of Rome at 10 pm.

Ithaca, New York
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary for 5 days in Rome

We are at the end of a 3 week trip to Rome. While the itinerary you presented shows you have done your homework. Each day is similar to our itinerary. The sites for each day are are within a short walking distance.

We had very good luck using navigation apps on tablets and smart phones on this trip. Way better than paper maps. Before departing we placed waypoints on the map. Not only did we mark our apartment and the sites we intended to visit we also located restaurants, coffee shops, bakeries, food markets etc.

Only thing I would suggest you reconsider is the side trip to Tuscany. Rome is one of the major cities in the world. Even if you are young and in excellent condition there is no way you can do Rome justice in 5 days without having to take 5 days to recover once you return home. Personally, the side trip to Tuscany or Florence would be an exhausting distraction as opposed to a bonus. The trip between Rome and Florence should take a little less than 2 hours. However, I am not sure I would be willing to giveup 4 to 5 hours of my precious touring time riding the rails.

When we travel we like to invest some of our time to try to live like the locals. This usually means a slower pass with time in cafe's, sitting in local parks and a focus on local foods and traditions/holidays/festivals (easter is March 31?). The 'slow travel' approach does come with a price a price; fewer sites visited. On the other hand we think the 'slow travel' helps us better understand the local lifestyle and culture. For the past three weeks in addition to visiting key tourist sites we have focused on sampling cafes (in search of the best cappuccino & pastries) during the day. Instead of booking a hotel in Rome we rented an apartment right off the Campo die Fiori with a full kitchen (very nice & ~half the price of a hotel) in an effort to get a Roman view of Rome. Ahead of our departure we used a number of foodie resources to develop a list of fornos (bakeries), markets and speciality meat shops. Most days we visit markets shops to acquire goods required to make traditional Roman dishes for dinner.

Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary for 5 days in Rome

Hello! Thanks for your information. We actually want more of a slow paced trip just like you said. Do you think any of the days out,ined are too cramped? Also, what would you suggest as another interesting activity to do instead of the day tour?

What tablet/phone map apps proved to be more useful to you?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,461 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary for 5 days in Rome

Rbtravels - I am also interested to know what navagation apps you used. I hadn't thought about using anything else apart from Google Maps, so if you have some suggestions I would be interseted in hearing about them.

Rochester, New York
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary for 5 days in Rome

I am headed to Rome/Florence/Venice in March and would love to know what apps you used on your smartphone. I haven't been to Italy since 1996 and am thinking that getting around this time with technology has got to be easier than before. :-)

Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary for 5 days in Rome

Hello ! Anyone else with some input?

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
311 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary for 5 days in Rome

Rbtravels, Looking forward to a trip report!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,461 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary for 5 days in Rome

Arelysm - I did some research on navigation apps and Triposo gets good reviews. The benefit of Triposo is that all the maps download on to your phone so you dont need wifi or an internet connection to access them. Hence no need to worry about data charges. The maps show hotels, sights, restuarants etc and are very clear to read. There is a Triposo app specifically for Italy and has very good reviews on the internet.

Edited: 04 January 2013, 21:45
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,461 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary for 5 days in Rome

The app is also free. Dont forget to download a foreign currency converter app like Xe.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
370 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary for 5 days in Rome

Brio96, sounds we are doing that same trip as you only 2 months later. Have you figured out which hotels you are staying?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,169 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary for 5 days in Rome

Consider Campo dei Fiori in the morning as that is when the markets are in full swing. By afternoon they are gone. And the Pantheon is much better when it first opens. After that it is crammed with crowds of tourists and it is difficult to appreciate its magnificence.

I wouldn't head to Tuscany or Florence either, Several hours in a train each way. However, Villa d'Este is a real possibility and is very lovely.

If you intend to visit the Villa Borghese be aware that you MUST book ahead for this, and will be given a 2 hour timeslot. They empty the gallery completely each two hours and let a new crowd in. You also have to pick up your ticket 30 minutes beforehand.