We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eating places in Rome

St Helens, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Eating places in Rome

We are visiting Rome soon for a long weekend and wondered if anyone can recommend reasonable places to eat out. Staying near the Basilica Santa Maria Maggiori.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,051 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eating places in Rome

There are thousands of restaurants in central Rome, most of them offering good food at a reasonable price. They all display their menus, with prices.

2. Re: Eating places in Rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 17 January 2013, 23:35
Missouri
Level Contributor
1,071 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eating places in Rome

I've only stayed in that area once, and the only place I remember is Gallina Bianca, a pizza joint between Via Nazionale and the church. Really good pizza!

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
458 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eating places in Rome

Trattoria Vecchia Roma's very good and very reasonably priced - a genuinely Roman eatery. It's just off Piazza Vittorio, at Via Ferruccio, 12. Book ahead if you can, it's hugely popular. Here's a link; http://www.trattoriavecchiaroma.it/

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,051 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eating places in Rome

The point I was making (perhaps not very well) is that good restaurants are so common in Rome that it is not worth getting stressed about which one to visit.

I don't think I have had a bad meal in Rome. Because I expect a good meal, I do not bother remembering the names of the ones we have used.

St Helens, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eating places in Rome

We found Trattoria Vecchia Roma on our first night and we were very impressed with both the friendliness of staff and the food, all at a reasonable price. Tried to go back again but because of it's popularity we couldn't get a table. Anyone trying to go there, it would be advisable to book and reserve. Thanks for recommending this to us and to everyone who replied.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Eating places in Rome

Can't agree with you Sidneynick. There are many mediocre restaurants in Rome esp in the historic center, so if you don't do your research you are taking a risk.

Trattoria Monti seems to get great reviews. I have been meaning to there last several trips but somehow i keep missing it. You absolutely need a reservation for this place.

Also, across the street is La Vecchia Conca, which although is not the best of restaurants, was quite simple and good.

Edited: 17 January 2013, 22:28
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,148 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Eating places in Rome

Good for you for asking in advance. Unlike Sydneynick, we have been unfortunate enough to have had bad meals in Rome. There are certain things you can do to make it more likely to find a good restaurant, but they don't always work. Things such as avoiding restaurants that do any of the following:

1. sit right on the popular piazzas

2. have signs in English

3. have waiters outside trying to get people to come in

4. seem to be full of other tourists

I can recommend one great pizza place not terribly far from where you're staying: http://www.tavernalecoppelle.it/

It's a hopping place, not somewhere you go to lounge over a dinner for two hours. But we really enjoyed it. Then you can go to Giolitti nearby for gelato afterward.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Eating places in Rome

I've also been meaning to visit Trattoria Monti, since it specializes in the cuisine of Le Marche, which is where I live. Of course, I can get great marchigiano cuisine any day of the week, which is probably why I'm in no rush. I'll just say that it's one of the best cuisines in Italy, and suggest that people consider coming here on their next trip to Italy!

London, United...
Level Contributor
204 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Eating places in Rome

you can also have a look at the blog parla food. she reviews loads of places to eat. www.parlafood.com