We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel room for 4 people?

midlands
Level Contributor
481 posts
Save Topic
hotel room for 4 people?

Hi

We have decided to stay in Rome for 4 nights in early February. 2 adults and 2 kids age 8 and 10.

Are there any reasonably priced hotels that have quad rooms? We can't find much searching online.

Ideally we'd like to be in the old bit, near the Colosseum, easy walking distance.

The kids don't like being in a separate room so 2 adjoining rooms won't work. We are quite happy with an apartment generally, we usually go self- catering anyway, but reading the apartments on the forum here has put me off rather - paying cash etc!

Many thanks

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,092 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: hotel room for 4 people?

Look for quad rooms at www.venere.com

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,239 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hotel room for 4 people?

Hi,

We are also a family of four and kids of similar age. I have booked an apartment near Colosseum based on the Holiday Rentals feedback at TA forum. The communication from the owners have been top notch so far.

I understand your concern about paying in cash. The owners tell me that there is a cash machine within 20 yards of this apartment so I can just withdraw the money and give it to them if I don't want to carry the cash around. Exactly the same arrangement for the apartment I have booked for Sorrento.

It'd be helpful to have either a prepaid card or a Credit card which won't charge you.

In my opinion for a family of four a decent apartment is way better than any hotel room.

Not sure whether they would rent for 4 days only but let me know if you want more details.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hotel room for 4 people?

Supratik, you should be aware that most cash machines in Italy have a €250 limit for a single withdrawal, and some won't allow repeat withdrawals with the same card.

There are lots of quad rooms in Italy. You can use the Venere site above, or www.booking.com . If you enter "4 people" and "1 room", it will show you only quad rooms. The most central neighborhoods are near Piazza NAvoa and the Pantheon. These are within walking distance of most things in the center of Rome, but they're also on the expensive side.

The Via Nazionale area is within walking distance of a lot of places and is a bit cheaper. The Colosseum area is generally affordable, but it's a large area, and some parts of it are very far from anything else you might want to see.

The Termini area is the cheapest, and hotels on the southwestern side are walking distance from the Colosseum. One hotel I know from personal experience, on the north side of the station, though, is the Hotel Romae, which has family rooms that sleep four or five.

http://www.venere.com/hotels/rome/hotel-romae

There are some hotels in Rome that manage apartments. This avoids many of the disadvantages of an apartment, including having to pay in cash. You usually can use all the services of the hotel. One of these is the Hotel Campo de'Fiori, which is in an ideal location, but a bit on the expensive side. The apartments are listed at the Dependance link:

http://www.hotelcampodefiori.com/en/home.htm

The hotel Mozart, near the Spanish Steps, also has some apartments, described on this page:

http://www.hotelmozart.com/en/home.htm

The Hotel Crosti, near the Romae Hotel I mentioned above, has a few apartments. They say medium to long stays, but the Italian language page says short to medium, and in February they're not likely to be overwhelmed with requests:

http://www.crostihotel.it/en/node/15

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,239 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hotel room for 4 people?

Thanks bvlenci for the cash machine comment.

I know this is a problem for foreign card holders as single transaction is often limited to 250-300 euros. But in my experience in other European countries I have managed to overcome that by multiple transactions and using two cards. Of course one has to check with their own bank back home what the daily limit is.

But thanks anyway for raising the issue and I'll check that with the apartment owners.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,092 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: hotel room for 4 people?

You can just your same card at another ATM machine and withdraw - in total, up to the daily rate set by your bank. So, if your limit set by YOUR bank is 600 euros per day, you could go to three different ATM machines until you reach that 600 euros limit even though each ATM machine in Italy has a lower limit - hope that makes sense.

I did that last year in Verona - not three different ones, but two different ones. I pulled money from one up to the Italian limit, walked a few blocks and got money from another one up to the Italian limit - using the same card.

I also had requested my bank to raise my limit overall because of the exchange rate not being our favor. They raised it to the amount I requested.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,839 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hotel room for 4 people?

When I Stay in an apt, I get enough euros to pay for the rent from my bank in the US and carry the money in a money belt under my clothes on the flight to Italy.

French landlords and agencies are more accomodating in than more of them take Paypal and let you pay by credit card.

Edited: 13 January 2013, 17:54
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hotel room for 4 people?

The daily limit doesn't apply just to foreign card holders. I'm an Italian citizen, and my Italian cards are still subject to this limit. I had read that you could take out more with multiple transactions, but I tried that once at the ATM in front of my bank, and it didn't work. (It wasn't the fault of my daily limit, either.)

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
279 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hotel room for 4 people?

we stayed in Best Western Villa Franca and enjoyed it. Only in a triple room with 1 child, but I recommend you check out the Best Western website for several options.

It was easy to walk to Metro, Termini, and we actually walked to Coliseum from our hotel. Very easy to get anywhere. It was across the street from the Hotel Canada which was much more expensive. The hotel breakfast was good, free wifi, computer in lobby, some good inexpensive restaurants nearby.

One advantage - the Best Western accepted our credit card with no problem. But I did get Euros before we left to get us through the first days.

good luck!

Edited: 15 January 2013, 00:06
Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,840 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: hotel room for 4 people?

You may also want to check Hotel Borocco on Piazza Barberini.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,083 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: hotel room for 4 people?

If we have a bill like this on arrival we just carry the money with us in a money belt

The reason people want cash is to cheat taxes -- which may give you pause.