We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

General travel question--do you always tip your concierge?

Omaha, NE
Level Contributor
410 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
General travel question--do you always tip your concierge?

We always do, but after seeing a lot of people NOT tip him during our recent travels to Paris, we are wondering if we always should.

What's your rule?

palo alto california
Level Contributor
299 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: General travel question--do you always tip your concierge?

No.

Unless the person REALLY went out of their way in terms of personal repoire and personal service. I can think of only about 2 times in 40 years of travel. Sad but true, but I don't rely on them much.

coxs creek, kentucky
Level Contributor
4,310 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: General travel question--do you always tip your concierge?

oooohhhhh, you may be opening up a can of worms on this!!!!! Well, I did but not much. There was a LOT of extras from our concierge. I am sure that many will say no - do not tip in Italy- however. I have decided that it is up to you as to what the right thing is to do. Trust me I have explored this avenue!

Omaha, NE
Level Contributor
410 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: General travel question--do you always tip your concierge?

Monamia, thanks for your reply.

I'll clarify something, though. We don't tip if we don't use his/her services. We only tip if we do. And if we do multiple times, we'll tip each time, etc.

Omaha, NE
Level Contributor
410 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: General travel question--do you always tip your concierge?

Oh, no, Wittyone! I hope I don't start a fight! Yikes!

That's not my intention at all. I was just curious.

Carmel, California
Level Contributor
553 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: General travel question--do you always tip your concierge?

Tips show your appreciation for their effort--they're appreciated everywhere and I like giving them especially when the concierge or whoever is not expecting one.

coxs creek, kentucky
Level Contributor
4,310 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: General travel question--do you always tip your concierge?

To clarify what I said-----we tipped at ONE hotel because they did so much extra for us. The other hotels were excellent on the service end but the one totally went out of their way to aid us more than once!!!! Katie, I think you'll be o.k. !!!!