We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flying to europe on KLM

lewiston, idaho
11 posts
Save Topic
flying to europe on KLM

We are flying to Europe in June and are flying to Amsterdam on KLM and Alitalia on to Rome. We have never flown on either of these airlines and want any information on comfort and service on them. Thanks for any information you can provide. Beverly

Likely To Sell Out
Vatican Museums Skip the Line Tour...
23,208 Reviews
from US$78.80*
Likely To Sell Out
Sistine Chapel VIP Private Viewing...
534 Reviews
from US$412.60*
Likely To Sell Out
Rome Colosseum Underground Chambers...
2,882 Reviews
from US$123.80*
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Skip the...
11,709 Reviews
from US$59.60*
Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,587 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: flying to europe on KLM

I've never flown Alitalia, but have always thought KLM was great. Some of the best service I've ever had.

Omaha, NE
Level Contributor
410 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: flying to europe on KLM

I flew KLM to London a few years ago and it was really nice. Back then they had free (alcoholic) drinks, but I don't know if it's that way any more. Also, nice hot towels in the morning, too. Very nice.

Level Contributor
356 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: flying to europe on KLM

Oy vey...Alitalia was horrible. No customer service whatsoever and they are just simply rude. KLM however, was the exact opposite. Very good customer service and with a smile, at that! Alitalia also ruined a brand new piece of not-so-cheap luggage that I bought and refused to compensate me. I will never use them again if I can help it.

Level Contributor
732 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: flying to europe on KLM

We found KLM was offering the best service. We never used AlItalia, but I wouldn't worry too much, as the longuest trip is with KLM. Then a short 2.5 hours with any company should be ok.

Stavanger, Norway
Level Contributor
4,145 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: flying to europe on KLM

I have used KLM a lot in the past as it is easy for us to fly via Amsterdam on our travels and since KLM often is the cheapest alternative. But I was not very happy when I used KLM back from Malaysia in March this year. I thought we would fly a new 777 but it turned out to be one of their old 747 cargo flights. This is a very old style plane: no individual TV screens, not a lot of leg room etc. We used Malaysia airlines to get to Malaysia and that was much better in my opinion...an impressive individual entertainment selection (about 25 movies), enough leg room, good service etc.

On shorter flights (like from Amsterdam to Rome) it doesn't really matter that much. My wife and I used Alitalia when we went from London to Rome last year and it was a nice flight...we got some of the best coffee we have ever gotten on a plane...or maybe it just tasted good because it was like 6 am :-)

Get in touch if you have any questions :-)

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
36 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: flying to europe on KLM

I have flown KLM out of Amsterdam to Johannesburg and also to Miami - both times the service was superb. Granted I was in business/first class but I've never been fed so much or pampered so well. Really terrific. Will be flying them again in a couple weeks so I'll update you.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
36 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: flying to europe on KLM

Update - we are back from our trip to Italy and I promised a review of KLM. We flew KLM from Amsterdam to Rome. I was nervous about boarding passes since I wasn't able to get seat assignments for our flight before we left Houston. Schipol Airport confused me and I missed the place where I should have gotten boarding passes. But the personnel at the gate were more than happy to help and gave us our seat assignments without a murmur. The flight was full but boarded quickly. In-flight service included a light lunch and beverages, the lunch was quite edible except for the pasta salad which was not to my taste. Overall the flight and service was friendly and efficient. We arrived on time.

8. Re: flying to europe on KLM

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2009, 14:18