We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worth paying more for an apt. with terrace?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Providence, RI
Level Contributor
638 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Worth paying more for an apt. with terrace?

We had to change our rome dates, and we are now deciding between two apts. We are traveling with our 9 y.o. ds, so there will be rest time at home. One is in Campo di Fiori, 85 m sq., without a terrace (although there is the possibility of an apt with terrace in the same building become available) and the other is on VIA SAN NICOLA DEI CESARINI. The latter is larger,180 m.sq., with a terrace, and of course, more expensive. Any thoughts on how much time one would spend on a terrace on a first visit to Rome for 5 nights?

sleepinitaly.com/rome/navona-pantheon-apartm…

www.papaverorentals.com/property_detail.cfm…

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
10,940 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Worth paying more for an apt. with terrace?

For me the terrace is very important. I tend to travel with extended family and having a terrace just adds to our time together. We breakfast on the terrace and every night we end up on the terrace enjoy a few bottles of wine and good conversation with people we do not see often.

The last few trips we have actually eaten dinner on a terrace at whatever apartment we have rented. We love to cook, love to source local ingredients and so this has become a focal point of the trips.

I guess it all depends on your travel style. If you like to dine out at night and linger over dinner then perhaps a terrace might not get used enough to justify the premium.

I have rented places in Rome, Florence and Venice for this summer, all have terraces.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
10,940 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Worth paying more for an apt. with terrace?

I just checked your link and the second one you are looking at is actually owned by the person we rented from. This is the link to the one I have lined up, known as the pink apartment, the one you are looking at is the red apartment. Great reviews and a great experience so far.

www.residenzagiubbonari.com/index.php…

But I do not see a mention of a terrace for the Red apartment, just for the pink one.

Edited: 16 January 2013, 14:20
Providence, RI
Level Contributor
638 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Worth paying more for an apt. with terrace?

Thank you for the info on the red apt. The yellow one has a terrace, but is not available, which is why we were considering the apt. near the Torre Argentina, which did have a terrace.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,430 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Worth paying more for an apt. with terrace?

we don't usually get a terrace but it is always high on my list for Italy and when we can we do. we spent two weeks in Montepulciano a year ago in the fall in an apartment with a tiny two person covered balcony terrace -- we spent many a day sipping wine and reading and looking at our view -- we once spent two months in Florence in an unairconditioned fairly crappy apartment that had a tiny terrace overlooking a garden -- it made the apartment worth the inconvenient kitchen and the noise -- can't beat a terrace with a view

Providence, RI
Level Contributor
638 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Worth paying more for an apt. with terrace?

Do you think one apartment is better located than the other?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,736 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Worth paying more for an apt. with terrace?

Those terraces look beautiful! If the apartment is real close to Largo Argentina, this makes it extremely convenient for travel, as there's a bus hub there.

Providence, RI
Level Contributor
638 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Worth paying more for an apt. with terrace?

So from the bus hub, it would be easy to get to villa borghese and vatican? but it might be quite noisy as well on the terrace?

N. Ireland
Level Contributor
273 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Worth paying more for an apt. with terrace?

I have stayed in apartments without a terrace for years but after renting one with a lovely big terrace would not do without. It was lovely to enjoy breakfast outside and to spend some time in the evenings just people watching and relaxing.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Worth paying more for an apt. with terrace?

It's hard to say whether it will be noisy, it appears to be on largo Argentina but you don't know which way the windows are and it it may be very high up. The apartment is fabulous and the location is unbeatable!!!!!

Providence, RI
Level Contributor
638 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Worth paying more for an apt. with terrace?

Thanks for all your encouragement. I think we are going to go for it. We were worried about the location. I know the other apartment in the Campo Dei Fiori is well placed. I just hope we have time to spend on the terrace, with all that we want to see in Rome during our short time there!