We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning to drive from Rome to Venice. PLEASE HELP

Nicosia, Cyprus
Level Contributor
46 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
Planning to drive from Rome to Venice. PLEASE HELP

Me and my fiance we are planning to drive from rome to venice after spending three full days in Rome from the coastal road and see la spezia (and avoid florence) and then head to Venice and stay there for two days and drop the rental in Venice, i need help in order to evaluate and calculate the best possible scenario. This will happen in June.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,062 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning to drive from Rome to Venice. PLEASE HELP

You seem to have a good plan. What exactly do you want to know?

Nicosia, Cyprus
Level Contributor
46 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning to drive from Rome to Venice. PLEASE HELP

Thanks for ur response, well after reading many forums, everyone is suggesting to get the train, however my inner excitment is suggesting to rent a car. well i want to know which city is worth seeing? and how much time i will need to end up in venice, if i start around 8.00 in the morning from termini.

What are the prons and cons?

Which cities is worth seeing?

is it better to drive from the coast and drive for longer hours or go through florence?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,062 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning to drive from Rome to Venice. PLEASE HELP

You can get driving directions, fairly realistic times, and estimated costs (fuel and tolls) from www.viamichelin.com

You need to read some guidebooks to decide which places would be interesting to you.

The road along the west coast mostly runs some distance inland, and there are not many sea views.

Cyprus
Level Contributor
33 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning to drive from Rome to Venice. PLEASE HELP

Hi, i'm planning to do something very similar with my partner, driving from Rome to Venice and wanted to pass by Pisa, Cinque Terre and then Venice. Is is worth the drive all the way up to CT or should we just scrap the idea and not see anything along the way and get a train directly? We thought the drive would be a great experience driving through all these beautiful cities, even if it's just a glipse we'll be seeing, rather than the train.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,156 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning to drive from Rome to Venice. PLEASE HELP

You won't be driving through beautiful cities, nor really see them from a distance though you'll see countryside and some villages . You'll be driving on expensive and very busy toll motorways, well over the distance of driving from Manchester to London and back on the M6/M1 in a day. If you'd do that for fun, then fine.

Nicosia, Cyprus
Level Contributor
46 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning to drive from Rome to Venice. PLEASE HELP

i dont think she mean manchester to rome and venice. she meant from rome to venice. as iam doing that trip. im flying to rome and either drive to venice via pisa or florence and end in venice for couple of days .

Or take the train but the tickets are not yet available to check the fees.

Or take the train from rome to florence or bologna (sugestions) then stay for 2 or 3 hours, then take another train to from florence or bologna to venice in one day and stay for 2 nights in venice.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning to drive from Rome to Venice. PLEASE HELP

If you want to see beautiful cities, you should forget the car and take the train. As Perilizia says, the autostrada, which is the most practical way to cross the Apennines, is far from any city centers. Perilizia didn't mention the thing that bothers me most, which is the heavy truck traffic (except on Sundays). A good part of the way, you're on a two-lane toll highway. You have a choice of driving very slowly in the right-hand lane, or pulling over constantly to pass, only to have a speed demon flash his lights while tailgating. I really loathe that drive, especially the part between Florence and Bologna.

Getting into the cities with a car is an enormous nuisance, as all of them have large no-car zones, a high risk of getting an expensive ticket for accidentally entering a limited traffic zone or for driving in a bus lane, and very expensive parking. The train takes you right into the center of the cities, faster and cheaper than driving.

If you want to see the countryside, a car is not a bad idea, but if you avoid the autostrada, the drive will be very long and the roads over the mountains are narrow and winding. We've taken those drives a number of times, and I almost always get carsick if I'm the passenger. The drive recommended by Viamichelin.com would take 8 1/2 hours avoiding toll roads; the drive will take you along the coastal road after Ravenna, and might be very pleasant from that point on. I would recommend doing it over two days, with a stopover perhaps in Assisi, which is practically right on the route.

By autostrada, the drive would be about 6 1/2 hours and the cost for tolls and fuel would be €116, but it wouldn't be very interesting.

The high-speed train takes about 3 1/2 hours and costs €80 per person if you buy the ticket at the last minute, but you can get tickets for as little as €9 if you reserve well in advance.

If you take the train, you could stop over in Pisa and Florence and Bologna, but you should try to do that over two days.

Passing through the Cinque Terre would be a drive of 11 hours if you take the autostrada, not counting the time it would take to park the car somewhere and take the train the rest of the way. It certainly isn't practicable in one day. Even a one-night stopover would give you a very short time at the destination, sandwiched between two days of heavy driving. You should stay at least two nights, to give you one full day there, but the car will be of no use there. This trip could also be done more quickly by train, but I would still advise staying at least two nights.

Nicosia, Cyprus
Level Contributor
46 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning to drive from Rome to Venice. PLEASE HELP

bvlenci .. Simply wow.... thank you very much. i would definatly take the train from termini to venice. and enjoy venice for 2 days any recomendation as to what to do in venice to have a blast

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning to drive from Rome to Venice. PLEASE HELP

I don't know what you consider having a blast. I'd hit a few museums and churches and the Scuole myself, and spend the rest of the time just wandering around, but your interests may be different from mine. Maybe you'd like to visit one of the islands in the lagoon? Visit a glass-blowing studio? Take a gondola ride?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,199 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Planning to drive from Rome to Venice. PLEASE HELP

Out of the blue i have a 11 day cruise booked in Italy

So the planning begins

I was going to get off ship in rome and fly too Venice

For $100 per person

Didn't know about train

Sounds intriguing