We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome trip for 3 days....does this look right?What do I book?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
7 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Rome trip for 3 days....does this look right?What do I book?

I have a trip to Rome planned at the end of this month for 3 days, at the moment my plans look a bit like this.

Day 1: Arrive in Rome monday at 10:20, get transfers to hotel (Hotel De Rome) which is near the colosseum. Check in, eat some lunch! Around 1ish go out and do The Colosseum, The Forum, Palatine Hill and Capitoline Museum. We'll then have some dinner! Day over.

Day 2: Go to the Vatican City, do the museums, the sistine chapel and spend the whole day here. Get some food obviously along the way

Day 3: Check out Church of San Luigi dei Francesi, Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, The Spanish steps and maybe do a little bit of shopping. Pop into any other museums we like the look of. Eat early dinner, check in at the airport at 7:00pm and fly home!!

Do that all sound doable?

I have a restaurant booked for the first night but will probably (with the help of trip advisor) try some unplanned places the other nights.

My last and most important question is what is the best way to avoid massive queues for the sites I want to see? Is it worth booking any of the Vatican or The forum/colosseum in advance?

Thanks so much!

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
31,840 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome trip for 3 days....does this look right?What do I book?

You don't say where you're coming in from so if jet lag is an issue you may not be able to complete day one.

You may want to book entry tickets or a tour of the colosseum in order to avoid the lines. You can also get entry tickets for the colosseum at the forum or palatine hill. These lines are usually shorter.

For the Vatican museums you can book tickets or a tour online at their official site. This allows you to bypass the lines outside. You can also visit the museums in the afternoon when the outside lines are usually much shorter.

…vatican.va/musei/tickets/do…

www.coopculture.it/en/ticket.cfm…

Donna

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome trip for 3 days....does this look right?What do I book?

if you have to be at the airport at 7pm you may not be able to find an early dinner as most good quality restaurants open at 7:30-8. Maybe you should just do a late lunch at 2 pm, restaurants close between lunch and dinner, so make sure you call the restaurant and tell them you would like to sit at 2, they might close early if not busy.

Day 2, if you start early does not have to be a whole day affair. you could be done with the Vatican/St Peter's by about 2 and then have lunch. Then you would have the evening to fit in something else.

UK
Level Contributor
2,849 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome trip for 3 days....does this look right?What do I book?

The Capitoline Museum is closed on Mondays.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,109 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Rome trip for 3 days....does this look right?What do I book?

As of now, I don't believe you can book tickets online for the Vatican museums; their website was to stop accepting electronic payments as of January 15 and it has been cash only at the Vatican museums itself since January 1. (Banking "problems")

If you do manage to book online tickets to the Vatican - please pop back here to let us know because the website is not providing any announcement of it - the January 15 deadline has only been revealed in news articles about their banking issues.

Level Contributor
7 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rome trip for 3 days....does this look right?What do I book?

Thanks for the advice! I can visit The Capitoline Museum maybe on day 2 in that case after the vatican as it's near my hotel!

I'm only traveling from the UK so Jetlag won't be a problem and on that last day I'd imagaine a late lunch or food on the go will be just fine.

I think on the basis of what you guys have said, I'd head to Palatine Hill and get tickets there for the forum/colosseum. And I guess I'll just have to queue at the Vatican but never mind!

If anyone has any other suggestions, they are very welcome.

ohio
Level Contributor
401 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rome trip for 3 days....does this look right?What do I book?

Book a guided tour of Colosseum/Forum. We booked one through expedia that meets at 2 and ends at 5. This skips the lines and describes what you are seeing in the forum (very helpful).

For the Vatican/Basillica arrive at 7-7:30 ( no lines), tour St Peters on own. Then reserve a time( in advance) for the Vatican. You can not pay in advance, but you can reserve a time and pay cash when you pick up your tickets.

Here is the site for the Vatican tickets. this is the offical site.

Edited: 17 January 2013, 17:16
Level Contributor
7 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rome trip for 3 days....does this look right?What do I book?

Sorry, there is no link attached?

ohio
Level Contributor
401 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rome trip for 3 days....does this look right?What do I book?

Sorry,

…vatican.va/musei/tickets/do…

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
31,840 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rome trip for 3 days....does this look right?What do I book?

You can make a reservation for the Vatican museums online and pay when you get to the site. I'm still trying to find out how to go about that, if you need to wait in line or if there will be a special window set up for those with reservations. When I find out I'll let everyone know.

Donna

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,109 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Rome trip for 3 days....does this look right?What do I book?

That would be great Donna because I haven't been able to find any helpful info on the Vatican website - and, I'm guessing people will be asking more often in the coming days. I did see an article today that said the Vatican is having some sort of meeting next week to see about sorting this out. Time will tell. I read they are losing about $40,000 per day so, I just can't believe it can continue long.

catholicculture.org/news/headlines/index.cfm…

Edited: 17 January 2013, 19:54