We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anniversary Trip To Europe

Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Topic
Anniversary Trip To Europe

Hello Everyone,

My wife and I are potentially booking a trip to Europe that we're very excited about! We're thinking of leaving NY the night of Oct 11 so that we can arrive in Paris the morning of Oct 12, and then leave for Rome late evening/early afternoon on Oct 15, and then we go home on Oct 20.

Is this a good amount of time in each city to be able to see all of the typical things to see? Any recommendations on something that's a must do that the average person wouldn't think of? Since I have some Starwood points, we're thinking of staying at the St. Regis Rome...is that in a good location? What are the best ways to get around Rome (cab, bus, tour hop on/off bus)? Is it feasible for us to take a day trip to Florence and Pisa during the time we'd be there and still have time to see a lot of the main attractions? Is there a tour group that we can book that day trip with? Forgive me if a lot of these questions have been answered already.

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,092 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Anniversary Trip To Europe

I suggest first that you get a guidebook for each city and decide what you want to see in each so you can figure out if your time there is sufficient. 2.5 days in Paris (the first of which will be affected by jet lag) would not be enough for me but that's me - it may be fine for what you want to see there.

I've been to Rome many times and still haven't seen it all - so, again, decide what you want to see because no, you will not see all of it in such a brief visit - and prioritize your choices so you don't miss out on what you really want to see.

With just 4.5 days in Rome, I would just stay put since you will barely make a dent there - save other cities for another trip.

I dont' buy into this "must see" stuff - everyone has different interest and tastes so, can't help you there.

A guidebook(s) will have the logistical information you ask about as well (re: buses, etc) - a HoHo bus is never good to use for transportation anywhere - maybe a bit for a quick overview of a city but not as regular transportation.

Do also look at maps of each city so you can see where your chosen hotels are located.

starwoodhotels.com/stregis/…

for St. Regis

Just go back a few pages on the Rome and Paris forums and you will find a world and wealth of valuable advice/suggestions to help you plan your trip.

2. Re: Anniversary Trip To Europe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 January 2014, 05:16