We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Non-tourist sections of Rome

California
Level Contributor
79 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Non-tourist sections of Rome

I love to "poke about" in areas that are definitely non-tourist. I especially enjoy parks, people-watching, gelato, little cafes, book stores, and best of all--walking. Any ideas?

Leesburg, Florida
Level Contributor
148 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Non-tourist sections of Rome

How about staying in Trastevere. Right outside the city of Rome and quite a nice area. Close to Rome as well via transportation etc.

Ledris

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,880 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Non-tourist sections of Rome

What? Trastevere is in the city of Rome, pretty much right smack dab in the center of it for the most part and not far from many of the main sites people which to see - there are some parts of it that are somewhat further away from the center - but you need only cross the Tiber River from Campo de' Fiori area and you are right in Trastevere. Do look at a map to get an understand where neighborhoods are located in the city - your guidebook will give you some good descriptions of the various neighborhoods.

How far away do you wish to go? - there are some areas like Prati, Testaccio (and, of course, others) that aren't magnets for the same numbers of tourists as say, Piazza Navona, Pantheon or Trevi Fountain.

But - walking even right in the center of the center of Rome - you can easily get away from from what would be considered the tourist areas by simply wandering off the main streets and down side streets - lots of surprising wonders along the way.

Leesburg, Florida
Level Contributor
148 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Non-tourist sections of Rome

You are right BUT I guess I meant that it is in an area that is a little more quiet in my opinion yet close to everything.

I have been to Rome 3x and I like that area but to each his own.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Non-tourist sections of Rome

Prati and Testaccio are great!!! Last time I went to Rome we explored Garbatella, it was amazing, so Roman, yet like no other neighborhood. We had the best meal in Rome of this last trip at a place called Tanto pe Magna'

…blogspot.com/2010/…

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,880 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Non-tourist sections of Rome

Yes, I love Trastevere too - but saying it is outside the city of Rome is just not factual regardless of whether it is a quieter neighborhood or not. I just wanted the OP to know that it is close to much of the center of Rome - given that much of it is in the center of Rome.

California
Level Contributor
79 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Non-tourist sections of Rome

Thanks. Side streets are a great idea, and easy to access. One area I really enjoyed on my last trip to Rome was Quartiere della Vittoria. I'm traveling alone (a woman "of a certain age," but friendly and full of energy, wanting to try using the Italian I am learning).

I am fond of just walking about and absorbing the feel of the city rather than standing in lines for the main tourist attractions (although on previous trips to Rome I have certainly enjoyed many of the wondrous museums, even was able to book the "underneath-the-Vatican" tour and was completely fascinated).

Thanks for your thoughts. I am so very much looking forward to visiting again, this time on a slower, more introspective, more attentive non-schedule. And I will definitely wander through those side streets!

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,096 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Non-tourist sections of Rome

If you visit Rome in Feb or Dec it is so empty of tourists that everywhere outside of the Sistine Chapel looks like a non-tourist section.

I have been to Trastevere in feb and it was really nice and non-crowded.

Rome
Level Contributor
242 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Non-tourist sections of Rome

Testaccio as already mentioned and I second Garbatella too. Then I'd add the San Giovanni and San Lorenzo districts. Safe and well connected areas by public transport

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Non-tourist sections of Rome

I love the streets that parallel Via Cavour between Termini station and the Roman Forum. It's starts as Via Urbana, and turns into Via Leonina, and then it has another name as well. It's a stone's throw from a busy urban street, but it's a world away. It's part of the Monti neighborhood of Rome. In ancient Roman times it was in the teeming working class Suburra neighborhood.

New York
Level Contributor
16 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Non-tourist sections of Rome

Yes to Garbatella and Testaccio. Prati has always struck us as boring. Trastevere is overrun with tourists. Monti is getting that way. EUR is also fascinating (built by Mussolini, but now built up - can seem cold - you need to know where to go there, but if you like 20th century architecture and history - it's a winner). Also, Flaminio is wonderful as a new arts district and center - and close. And the Foro Italico (once Foro Mussolini) and Ponte Milvio (a newer hot spot) across the river from Flaminio are fascinating. Lots of these are listed in our Rome the Second Time Top 40.