We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Make Your Own Pizza? and information on food tours

Columbia, Maryland
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Make Your Own Pizza? and information on food tours

Does anyone know of a restaurant in Rome that will allow you/teach you to make your own pizza? I found one food tour from Walks of Italy that combines a walking tasting tour with a make your own pizza in a restaurant, but the food tour otherwise does not look that interesting and I don't want to spend half a day just to get to the make your own pizza (which is what my ten year old wants to do - learn to make a pizza).

I am much more interested in doing a food tour with Tavole Romane, which looks to be a very small interesting local company, and I am waiting to hear back from them. Many of the food tours in rome seem to be run by ex-pat americans, which does not really interest me. Does anyone have any experiences/recommendations about food tours?

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
528 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Make Your Own Pizza? and information on food tours

I would love to make my own pizza! I'd be interested to hear about this....

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
5,415 posts
619 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Make Your Own Pizza? and information on food tours

Maybe this is more what you are looking for since you have a 10 year old:

romekidstours.com/pizza-cooking-classes-rome…

I also found a number of "make your own pizza in Rome" tours. Here are just a few:

ciaolaura.com/rome-hands-on-pizza-cooking-le…

nancyaiellotours.com/pizza_hands_on_cooking_…

www.city-discovery.com/rome/tour.php?id=4422

I have not tried any of the above, just passing the information on, hoping it helps. By the way, I am taking the Walks of Italy tour you mentioned in late February, and will post a review afterwards.

3. Re: Make Your Own Pizza? and information on food tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 21 January 2013, 23:05
California
Level Contributor
279 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Make Your Own Pizza? and information on food tours

Spanish . . . We are thinking about booking the Walks of Italy food tour so I'm looking forward to your review! :)

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
5,415 posts
619 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Make Your Own Pizza? and information on food tours

iceyhotj -- we'll definitely be posting a Tripadvisor review of the food tour/pizza class from Walks of Italy and will also put up more detail on our facebook page, so stay tuned -- we head back to our home in Rome in late February. As always, we can't wait!

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
5,415 posts
619 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Make Your Own Pizza? and information on food tours

I've just submitted a review of the Walks of Italy Food tour on TA. Photos are also up at www.facebook.com/SpanishStepsApartment. This is a good introduction to Italian food and food customs that starts with the lively and colorful market at Campo de'Fiori (a trip to the market is itself very worthwhile). Olive oil, balsamic vinegars, and vegetable pates are sampled. Next stops are a terrific cured meat stop just off the piazza and a cheese shop just around the corner. The pizza making activity is fairly brief: the dough and sauce are already made so while enjoyable this is not a start-to-finish pizza making class. The ending was a delicious dash of coffee at the venerable Sant'Eustachio. The guide, Julia, was informative and pleasant. The tour appears designed for people who have not spent much time in Rome, but even those familiar with the Eternal City will learn something.

california
Level Contributor
645 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Make Your Own Pizza? and information on food tours

Depending on how long you have in Rome, you could easily take a day trip to Florence and take a food tour with http://florenceforfoodies.com/ Over the years, I have done 3 tours with them and every time my expectations have been exceeded. With them, you can even combine some time in a museum and then eat and drink the rest of the day away, I guarantee you will not be disappointed!

California
Level Contributor
279 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Make Your Own Pizza? and information on food tours

I just read the review . . . Thanks SpanishSteps! :)

9. Re: Make Your Own Pizza? and information on food tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2014, 07:17