We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Only 8 days in Rome. Want to go south Italy too. Any advice?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
S'pore
Level Contributor
21 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Only 8 days in Rome. Want to go south Italy too. Any advice?

Dear all, my hubby & I are planning a short getaway to Rome & perhaps another place (Tuscany or Amalfi Coast) in April for my birthday. Would anyone advise us if it is feasible? If yes, should we take train or rent a car?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,925 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Only 8 days in Rome. Want to go south Italy too. Any advice?

You can take the train from Rome to Florence or Naples www.trenitalia.it/homepage_en.html

Train Naples to Sorrento and Pompeii Scavi www.vesuviana.it

Amalfi coast bus www.sitasudtrasporti.it Click on "Orari" for Campania bus times

Amalfi coast ferry www.alicost.it www.coopsantandrea.com www.capri.net

From Florence you can take the Trenitalia train to Pisa and Lucca, bus to Siena www.busfox.com/timetable

Accommodation www.venere.com

www.rome.info

www.discovertuscany.com

www.amalficoastweb.com

Regional info www.italia.it/en/home.html

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Only 8 days in Rome. Want to go south Italy too. Any advice?

renting a car would only be feasible if exploring the Tuscan country side. Would be very inconvenient for Rome & Florence and Amalfi.

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
5,245 posts
619 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Only 8 days in Rome. Want to go south Italy too. Any advice?

Particularly if this is a first trip to Italy (or even a second or third), I really suggest using the trains and planning your trip based on places you can reach by train. They are very easy to use. Driving -- and just as importantly, parking -- can be very difficult in italian cities. Some cities, such as Rome, have restrictions on driving in the historic centers, and you need to park the car at a parking garage and then enter the center by public transportation, taxi, or on foot. That being said, if you are exploring smaller Tuscany towns, you will want a car. Also, if you are staying at a villa, you may need a car. I would say if you have eight days, Rome and Florence (or alternatively, Amalfi) would be a great trip, and can be done without a car.

There are some threads on this forum about taking trains to various destinations that may help -- look in the Top Questions About Rome box on the right side of the TA forum page.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,482 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Only 8 days in Rome. Want to go south Italy too. Any advice?

Tuscany is well north of Rome, not south. I think perhaps the Amalfi Coast would be a better destination. It's easy to get around without a car, and it's a smaller area than Tuscany. Eight days is not really a lot of time. Is that eight full days, or is it eight nights?

S'pore
Level Contributor
21 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Only 8 days in Rome. Want to go south Italy too. Any advice?

Thank you everyone for your kind advice!

bvlenci- I realized the location of Tuscany is up north after I posted my question. :p

We would be arriving on 31st March, going home on 7th Apr, giving us about 7 nights in Italy. I was planning to travel to Amalfi Coast straight away we touched down in Rome. Is train the only way to go? I was thinking of doing 3 nights at Amalfi Coast, 1 night in Florence & 3 nights in Rome. Would that be ok?

S'pore
Level Contributor
21 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Only 8 days in Rome. Want to go south Italy too. Any advice?

Another option is for us to stay 3 night in Rome & after which, we will head out to Tuscany for 3 nights & drop by Assisi from there.

Florence would be our next stop for 2 nights. We can then travel up north to fly back from Milan on the 8th Apr instead of 7th April. Would that be more feasible?

I understand traveling in Tuscany is better with a car. Is it easy to drive around?

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
12,422 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Only 8 days in Rome. Want to go south Italy too. Any advice?

Dropping the southern stop (Amalfi) makes this plan better, but you still have far too much checking in/checking out/transit for my taste. You'll spend as much time racing around as actually being anywhere. If that's what you want ... well, it's your money and your time.

The hill towns in Tuscany really can't be accessed without a car.

I don't think flying out of Milan buys you much, as you'll spend most of the time you've gained just getting up to Milan.

With only seven nights, I'd stick to two locations, either Rome and Florence, or Rome and a Tuscan hill town. If you will be flying home from Rome, I'd go to Tuscany first, then Rome, to facilitate an easier exit.

S'pore
Level Contributor
21 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Only 8 days in Rome. Want to go south Italy too. Any advice?

Thank u for ur advice. Will take note & see what I can do to reduce the travelling.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,060 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Only 8 days in Rome. Want to go south Italy too. Any advice?

I agree - too much traveling around for such a short amount of time.

Just know that if you choose the Amalfi Coast - it is not going to be beach weather or swimming in the sea weather - well, not likely. I spent 7 days there in March 2011 and there was one warm day (maybe around 78 degrees) and some people did lay on the beach.

It will be nice then as it will just be the beginning of high season (which begins basically right at Easter) - nights were pretty cool - in mid-40s but, of course, no one can predict what the weather will be but it is very very unlikely you are going to have very warm weather, wearing shorts, jumping and swimming in the sea weather.

Pick which ever region looks most appealing to you. No one can decide for you - Tuscany and the AC are like apples and oranges. Both are beautiful and I can't imagine you will be disappointed with either choice but try not to move around too much.

I would fly into Rome and immediately head to either Florence/Tuscany or the AC, depending which area you choose, spend your time there then head back to Rome, visit Rome and fly home from there.

Champaign
Level Contributor
3 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Only 8 days in Rome. Want to go south Italy too. Any advice?

Have to agree - too much travel in too short a time. We just spent 10 days in Italy, Rome (7 days), Florence (2 days), and Venice (2 days) with most of it in Rome. In hindsight, I would have spent three nights each in Florence and Venice because I did not realize that even though these cities are not that far from each other, the waiting time for the trains just sucked up too much time. We flew into Rome, took the train to Florence and then to Venice, and flew out of Venice to London. I did get quite a lot of night photography done in Florence and Venice though.