We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommended Reading: Rome / Florence

Ohio
10 posts
Save Topic
Recommended Reading: Rome / Florence

Can anyone recommend books that you found helpful on Rome and Florence? We're traveling there in December.

Thanks!

NYC
Level Contributor
1,518 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommended Reading: Rome / Florence

hi buckeyebabe99

a great series to search out (Barnes & Noble or Borders?) is the 'City Secrets' guide...I've used the Rome one extensively & love it (good off-the-beaten-path recommendations). they also publish a Tuscany/Venice/hilltowns version too. I highly recommend them.

- brooklynnite i.e. "wolverinegal84"...who says we can't get along? : )

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
242 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommended Reading: Rome / Florence

Hi Buckeyebabe,

I found great "City Secrets Rome". It will help you to get a different view of the eternal city. This book goes through neighborhoods of Rome noting places of interest, inclusive of restaurants. There you'll find impressive notes about artists, writers, architects, archaeologists and history which are intimate in thought and interesting in application to each of the neighborhoods. In Rome and Florence the surroundings are beautifull as well as the main city. If you have time make a good plan of your trip and try to save sometime for visiting the surrroundings too.Look for a good location and use it as base to travel around. That has been my choose, lately and I founded just perfect. Needing some more info , don't hesitate:( hotptt@breakthru.com). Have a nice trip, Anne.

Omaha, NE
Level Contributor
410 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommended Reading: Rome / Florence

I like both of the Frommers--Frommers Rome, and Frommers Florence. I looked at quite a few at the bookstore and those were the ones I liked best. (I always seem to graviate towards Frommers, though.)

I also like the Rick Steves phrase book, but don't care much for the travel book.

Good luck!

Katie