We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can toddlers have fun in Rome?

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Can toddlers have fun in Rome?

Should I bring my two toddlers to Rome for 4 days? If so, what's there to do? (Kids are 5 and 3)

Thx!

Best Seller
Skip the Line: St Peter’s and Sistine...
22,972 reviews
from US$75.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Viewing...
530 reviews
from US$410.50*
Best Seller
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Tour...
2,819 reviews
from US$123.10*
Special Offer
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
11,609 reviews
from US$57.10*
US$63.40
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,222 posts
TripAdvisor Staff  
Save Reply
1. Re: Can toddlers have fun in Rome?

Hi SteffJ317,

We've moved this topic to the Rome forum, because it should be more likely to receive some replies here. We hope you find the information you're looking for.

Best regards,

TA_MikeW

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Can toddlers have fun in Rome?

YESSS! there is tons to do. I have been many times with my kids. You just have to take things slow and go at their pace. Don't try and fit too many tours or museums in one day.

Although 5 is not a toddler, I found it a bit difficult, because even though my son was too old for a stroller, he could not do the amount of walking that I did when I had him in the stroller. By the time he was 5, he had a baby sister, so she was in the stroller.... made things a bit difficult. We just had to take frequent breaks. Make sure you have a light weight but sturdy umbrella stroller such as the uppababy gluxe, maybe get a boogie board, but not sure how those would fare on the cobblestones. The stroller itself is a bit of a challenge on the streets of Rome but not impossible. maybe the kids can take turns.........

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can toddlers have fun in Rome?

We've been taking my granddaughter to Rome every summer since she was three and she loves the city. When she was three, these are the things she enjoyed the most:

Fountains, big or little

The Palatine Hill (more than the Forum or Colosseum), which is greener than the other ancient sites and has room to run around.

The Villa Farnesina, a Renaissance palazzo with beautiful frescoes

The Villa Borghese park, which has a lake, a puppet theatre, a zoo, and some little carnival type rides for kids. You can also rent a bicycle cart and pedal the kids around; we've never done that.

The Janiculum Hill, where there are great views over the city, pony rides, and more kiddy rides. Also, an inflated castle, where kids can climb, jump, and slide.

Now that she's a bit older, she's enjoyed many other museums and also likes visiting churches. Last summer I took her to the beach for a day, while her mother was at a conference. She really loved the museum Palazzo Massimo alle Terme, the Doris Pamphilj Gallery, and the Barberini Gallery. We haven't taken her to the Vatican Museums, and I wouldn't consider it until she's about 10 at the very minimum, and then only if she is very interested in seeing it. It's a very stressful visit, even for me, and a small child would be jammed in among taller adults, and would hardly see anything.

I was planning to take her to Ostia Antica last summer, which I'm sure she would love, but there was a heat wave the week we were there, so I changed my mind.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,165 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can toddlers have fun in Rome?

The problem with Toddlers is that they are just as happy with the park or the zoo in Pittsburgh as they are on the same kind of places in Rome. So if you want to spend time pushing them around on cobblestones to places with no changing tables and loads of stairs so that you can view thew awesome sights in Rome that's one thing, but I am sure the toddlers won't appreciate it. Is there somewhere else that that toddlers can go if you go to Rome?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Can toddlers have fun in Rome?

My toddlers loved Rome, and by the time my eldest was 3 he was out of diapers, (and I hope the 5 year old is) -- With a little ingenuity you don't need changing tables ( which i find gross anyway) I would rather change my kid in the stroller or while standing up.

I think a 3 and a 5 year old can appreciate the difference between Pittsburgh and Rome.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,646 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can toddlers have fun in Rome?

We are taking 4 grandchildren ages 5,3,2 1/2, and 7 months for a week in Rome and a weekend in Florence. They are coming with their parents who have chosen this cities and we are well aware that this is a trip for the kids (the adults have been before) and so lots of parks and downtime. They are New Yorkers and so prepared for hectic routine but not as tourists. No museums, a few churches, lots of restaurants. It will be an adventure and there's nothing like taking the children on trips. We did that with their parents and now we want to do it with them (along with their parents).

The older ones are reading a lot of books (children's books) that talk about Rome so they will be "ready." And grandson is terribly excited to take the Italian Fast Train, his main fixation. We are so excited.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can toddlers have fun in Rome?

My granddaughter has never been to Pittsburgh, but she certainly appreciated Rome and knew that it was different from Bloomington, Indiana.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,165 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can toddlers have fun in Rome?

"I think a 3 and a 5 year old can appreciate the difference between Pittsburgh and Rome"

And at $1000 per head from North America to make the trip and spend it at the zoo, the park. and the beach will the appreciation a 3 and 5 year old be worth it?

And when bvlenci's granddaughter are in Rome, they are there from America to visit their grandma; a worthy reason to go in any case.

Myself I cannot even remember anything before age 4, and then only certain tramatic events. Even age 5 is kind of spotty as far as memories.

The OP implies whether she should bring a 3 and 5 year old with her. If the only way you can go is to bring them, then if the OP wants to go bad enough, she will jsut have to cope. It there is an alternative where she can go and leave the 3 and 5 year old behind, I'd recommend it.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,165 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can toddlers have fun in Rome?

"No museums, a few churches, lots of restaurants. It will be an adventure and there's nothing like taking the children on trips. We did that with their parents and now we want to do it with them (along with their parents)."

There is nothing like spending time with your grandparents when you are little. My children's last grandparent died when they were 4 and 8. I had a rich relationship with my own maternal grandmother who lasted until I was 44. We made cannoli, "honey bubbles", Italian Christmas cookies, canned eggplant appetizers and tomatoes together. We scoured the farmers markets for chicken feet and pig brains. We attended Latin Mass together at her historic preservation monument church. All fond memories.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,236 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can toddlers have fun in Rome?

And at $1000 per head from North America to make the trip and spend it at the zoo, the park. and the beach will the appreciation a 3 and 5 year old be worth it?

I would have to agree. Also, children of that age react to jet lag very differently than adults--it may be four days before these kids are "on schedule" and then you'll be ready to leave!