We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome Trip

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
pa.
Level Contributor
75 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Rome Trip

We are going to Italy and would like to include Venice, Cinque Terra, Rome and Pompeii and Amalfi Coast. We are planning on a 11 or 12 day trip. Do you think this will work well?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,025 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome Trip

Let's see...the day you arrive in Italy is pretty much used to get settled in. The day you fly home is pretty much used to make sure you're packed, and ready to get to the airport. Taking the train say from Venice to Rome, checking out, (etc) and into the new hotel (etc) is a good half-day. Same Rome to Amalfi...which basically leaves you with 8-9 days. I suggest omitting either CT or Amalfi because they are sorta similar geographically, although I prefer the AC. Pompeii is a day trip from Rome, and or a good half day from Sorrento or the AC. Too me, it sounds like your going to end up doing about 3-4 nights in Venice, Rome, and a choice between the AC or the CT. Very doable in my humble opinion...good luck.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,065 posts
5,331 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome Trip

Similar thoughts to those of the above poster. However, I might suggest dropping CT instead of Amalfi as you can combine Amalfi/Pompeii quite easily. CT is not really located near anything else on your list.

Much depends on your entry point into Italy but you might try something like the following: Venice (3-4 nights), train down to Rome (5 nights) then train to Naples, stay in Sorrento (2 nights) as a base for your visits to Pompeii and Amalfi visit. Then return to Rome for your flight home. Lots of ways to reconfigure a similar trip, enjoy your planning.

pa.
Level Contributor
75 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome Trip

Thanks, I should have stated that I am not including the flight days. It would be about 12 days in Italy, the other 2 days will be flying in and out. Thanks

pa.
Level Contributor
75 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Rome Trip

I am not counting the day of arrived or when I leave. We would be in Italy for 12 days. Do you think the Amalfi Coast would be the best? I have been to Venice (I love it) and Rome (love it), only went one day to Amalfi Coast but it was so beautiful and I was traveling with my two grandaughters. This time its the adults that are going. I have never been to the Cinque Terra, just saw it was so beautiful but so is the Amalfi Coast. Help...I hate making decisions. Thanks

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rome Trip

You need to make decisions as it is your trip. People can offer suggestions, but ultimately it is up to you to decide :)

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,065 posts
5,331 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rome Trip

>>>>>Do you think the Amalfi Coast would be the best? <<<<<

Difficult to say. This really is one of those.... 'to each his own' type questions.

I like the Amalfi coastline better than Cinque Terra, others will think otherwise. I also like that Amalfi is quite near to Rome, making it quite convenient to travel to/from at the beginning or end of your travels to Italy if you are flying in/out of Rome. You can also visit Amalfi area quite conveniently as a daytrip from Rome as you seem to have past experience doing. These are the preferential and logistical reasons why I would lean towards Amalfi.

Btw, something we really enjoyed seeing along the Amalfi coastline, were the greek temples at Paestum. Might be worth checking out if you end up staying more than 1 night in Amalfi area.

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g194845-Activiti…

Good luck with your trip planning.

pa.
Level Contributor
75 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Rome Trip

Thank you so much. The Amalfi Coast is so beautiful. When we went last with my grandaughters the drive down that hill was awesome. Sounds like a plan. Again, thank you.

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
11,741 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rome Trip

I would not call the Amalfi Coast an "easy" day trip from Rome. To drive from Rome to Salerno on the autostrada, then along the coast to Ravello, Amalfi, Positano, Sorrento and back to Rome would take eight hours of driving time alone, without ever stopping to get out of the car.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,687 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rome Trip

Nope - AC is not a day trip from Rome. At the very very least, stay one night but it takes longer to get there than you think it will given its distance.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,025 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rome Trip

One can always fly open-jaw. Fly into Venice, train to Rome, train/bus/drive to the AC/Sorrento area, and fly home from Naples. This would save a return trip to Rome...just a thought.