We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walk Everywhere?

Lighthouse Point...
Level Contributor
975 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Walk Everywhere?

We are a family of 8, ages 20-60, and staying at Roma Sofitel at the end of May. Is it unrealistic to think we can walk everywhere from our hotel and avoid public transportation? I am leary about the crowded busses and subway and would prefer the walking if it is feasible. Any idea how hot it will be at that time?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,018 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Walk Everywhere?

What's wrong with pubic transportation? Someone in your group is bound to get tired after walking for hours and hours on cobblestons and on marble (museums/churches) - Bus tickets (which are also good for trams/metro) cost just 1.5 euros - cheap and efficient. You stamp the ticket in the little box on a pole when you enter the bus and it is then good for 100 minutes - hang onto the ticket as fines are high if you haven't got it or you haven't stamped it.

I'm not going to look up your hotel to see where it is (providing a link is nice) but sites can be pretty far from one another - i.e., not a hop, skip and jump from the Colosseum to the Vatican, or to Borghese Gallery and other sites.

I have been in Rome at the end of April a few years ago and had a few days in the mid-80s with high humidity; it then dropped down into the 70s. So, weather is, as always, unpredictable but generally, should not be too hot.

Does everyone in your group want to walk the entire city or just you? If you use the normal common sense precautions about your personal belongings while on the bus (or anywhere) (keeping your items close to your body and in sight), you should be fine.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,183 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walk Everywhere?

You can certainly walk to most places from Villa Borghese, and the metro in Rome is of limited use anyway (depends where you would be going, of course).

No I have no idea what the weather will be like on your dates, but for "typical" temperatures see accuweather.com/en/…213490

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
13,034 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walk Everywhere?

The Sofitel in Rome is on Via Lombardia, not smack in the middle of things but not far off either. It will be easy to walk almost everywhere, augmented occasionally with a bus ride.

From your hotel to the Colosseum, for example, is only a mile and a half. In the other direction, it's two miles to the entrance of the Vatican museums. Everything else you're likely to want to see will be even closer than these two points.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,018 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Walk Everywhere?

And, using transportation will be nice if it rains and not everyone may want to walk in the rain.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
2,980 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walk Everywhere?

Walking around is the best way to get to know Rome and its sights, its very enjoyable,but do bear in mind it can get quite tiring. Many of the streets are cobbled in the city centre, and when you do get to a major sight, such as St Peters Square, there is a lot more walking around to see everything.

Take along comfortable walking shoes. The weather should be good in May.

The Vatican, St Peters, is probably the farthest away for your party, I'd consider getting a bus theremyself, they are cheap and frequent, if crowded by UK standards.

Most of the great sights, though, Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, Piazza Navona, for instance, are not huge distances apart.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,018 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Walk Everywhere?

Definitely walking is the way to enjoy and explore Rome but to not want to consider alternatives is also not realistic - or enjoyable for those who may get tired or have feet which hurt after hours of walking.

I rarely use the public transportation, preferring to walk but then I don't usually go to very many places in one day. If you plan very full days - and I can't tell as you don't say how many days you will be in Rome - then having a few tickets in your pockets ready to use when and if someone just wants a break from walking, is a good idea.

You get the tickets at newsstands and some tobacco shops.

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
13,034 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walk Everywhere?

You can get from (or back to) this hotel to most sites using the little #116 electric bus, which is a lot less intimidating to a newcomer than the normal buses.

You can see the bus route here:

Going away from the hotel: trovalinea.atac.roma.it/zoom_in.asp…

Returning to the hotel: trovalinea.atac.roma.it/zoom_in.asp…

Latina, Italy
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Walk Everywhere?

Another vote for walking, with a few bus tickets in your pocket for "emergencies".

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
13,034 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Walk Everywhere?

Regarding tickets, it's becoming less and less easy to purchase transit tickets at tobacco shops and newsstands. The city has been installing ticket machines and fewer vendors now carry them - last fall this new issue really hit home for me as I had to stop at several places before I found one that still sold them.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,018 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Walk Everywhere?

Really? I was there for a few weeks in Rome and found them at all the newsstands I asked - but, that was really on three I think.

I did see, for the first time, on the #116 one of the machines from which you could buy your ticket right on board. That was the only one I saw though - I'm guessing they are still in the process of installing them. Not sure if they plan to put them on all buses.

The little electric buses, of which 116 is one, are very small and they are easy to board with a low step into it but they can get crowded (because they are so small) - depends where you pick them up. The 116 is one of my faves as it is able to get into areas that the bigger buses can't as they can fit in the narrow streets.