We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rome to viterbo

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
plymouth
Level Contributor
211 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
rome to viterbo

how do we gat from rome to viterbo as a day trip using public transport is it doable and how long and costs please also when we get to viterbo how far is it to Civita di Bagnoregio ?or does the bus stop there ?any help would be apreciated .

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
12,492 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rome to viterbo

You can take the regional train from Rome to Viterbo, followed by the Cotral bus from Viterbo to Bagnoregio.

The Cotral bus schedule can be found here, from Viterbo to Bagnoregio is on page 2: www.cotralspa.it/PDF_Orari_Comune/Viterbo.pdf

plymouth
Level Contributor
211 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: rome to viterbo

thank you how long roughly is the trip and how much .thank you

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
12,492 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rome to viterbo

The train portion takes two hours and costs 5 Euro. I don't know the bus cost, (it's less than 2 Euro) but the ride is about 45 minutes.

Edited: 28 January 2013, 13:20
Passo Corese, Italy
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: rome to viterbo

You can also take the Roma-Civitacastellana-Viterbo railway which starts from piazzale Flaminio, near Piazza del Popolo (there's a metro stop nearby, "Flaminio"). Since the railway's run by ATAC, you can use ordinary bus tickets.

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: rome to viterbo

IF your true aim is a daytrip to Civita di Bagnoregio (and not Viterbo), THEN you should go via ORVIETO, and NOT via Viterbo!!!

Take a Trenitalia unreserved regionale train to Orvieto, then connect to the COTRAL bus to Bagnoregio, then walk about 30 minutes to CIvita.

I strongly recommend against trying to see both Viterbo and Civita as a single daytrip.

www.cotralspa.it

www.trenitalia.it

plymouth
Level Contributor
211 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: rome to viterbo

thank you all .yes i think that might be better or is there other things in viterbo i shouldnt miss also if we go via orvieto where is the train from and is there no bus to take us to civita .thanks

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: rome to viterbo

Viterbo is a good daytrip out of Rome, but you should really budget a full day for Viterbo (and the nearby Villa Lante, reachable by city bus). Remember too that the Trenitalia unreserved regionale train from Roma Ostiense (or Roma Trastevere) to/from Viterbo Porta Romana station takes nearly two hours in each direction. Note that you will likely need to take the metro (or another regionale train) from Roma Termini to Roma Ostiense in order to take the train on to Viterbo. Once in Viterbo, get off either at Porta Romana station, or better still Porta Fiorentina Station (if the train goes there). The historic medieval quarter of Viterbo is a 15-minute walk from the Porta Romana station. The Rocca area is a 10-minute walk from the Porta Fiorentina station. Coming from Rome, you are likely to be getting off the train at Porta Romana (in both directions).

The other train from Piazzale Flaminio in Rome takes even longer.

If you want to go to Civita di Bagnoregio, there is COTRAL bus service from the Orvieto train station (Orvieto Scalo Staz. F.S.) to the modern town of Bagnoregio (Via G. Garibaldi) operating from Monday through Saturday, as shown on these schedules:

cotralspa.it/PDF_Orari_Comune/Bagnoregio.pdf

Purchase the COTRAL bus ticket from the newsstand inside the Orvieto station.

Once in Bagnoregio (Via Garibaldi), you will need to walk to the eastern edge of town, where there is a footbridge across the ravine to Civita. Budget nearly 30 minutes for the entire walk (in each direction). There may also be a local shuttle bus taking you as far as the beginning of the footbridge, but the walk itself is flat and very easy. Done it myself (on foot).

You can take a Trenitalia unreserved regionale train from Roma Termini or Roma Tiburtina to Orvieto (in both directions). Purchase the train ticket to/from Orvieto from an automated ticket machine or from the manned ticket windows at Roma Termini or Roma Tiburtina station.

www.trenitalia.it

Edited: 28 January 2013, 19:12
plymouth
Level Contributor
211 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: rome to viterbo

thank you so much i think i will follow your advise

Ourem, Portugal
Level Contributor
167 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: rome to viterbo

GAC,

the info you provided is priceless!

many thanks!!!

Ourem, Portugal
Level Contributor
167 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: rome to viterbo

i'm having a unexpected hard time figuring out the cotral timetables...

googling, i've found put different departure hours for the bus from Orvieto to Bagnoregio and also some people reporting to get on the bus inf front of the train station, others on the funicular top.

can any willing soul help me figure out how to read the cotral schedules (where do i see the time of buses from Orvieto to Ganoregio and return)

and where do i get the bus? in front of train station or do i need to get in the funicular?

any help is greatly appreciated, as i'm about to go mad. rick steves fault.

Edited: 15 January 2014, 11:05