We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alitalia cancels service from Newark to Rome

The Garden State
Level Contributor
64 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Alitalia cancels service from Newark to Rome

When trying to book family flights from Newark to Catania (via Rome) for 2013 summer travel I've learned Alitalia has cancelled all service from Newark/Rome. They are now only offering JFK service. At first I read it was a seasonal cancellation (Nov 2012-April 013) but according to a post on routesonline.com, on Jan 14,2013, it might be permanent.

routesonline.com/news/….

Can anyone shed any light on this ??

Likely To Sell Out
Vatican Museums Skip the Line Tour...
23,462 Reviews
from US$81.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Sistine Chapel VIP Private Viewing...
538 Reviews
from US$409.50*
Special Offer
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Skip the...
11,832 Reviews
from US$60.30*
US$67.00
Likely To Sell Out
Rome Colosseum Underground Chambers...
2,923 Reviews
from US$122.80*
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
107,960 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Alitalia cancels service from Newark to Rome

Alitalia flights have always been more frequent from JFK and less frequent or nonexistent from Newark. Delta is an Alitalia partner, so you could book via Delta and fly Delta from EWR to FCO and then continue to CTA via Alitalia on one transatlantic straight-through ticket.

Vagabonda

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alitalia cancels service from Newark to Rome

Looks like Alitalia will have 26 weekly flights out of New York JFK this summer: 19 nonstops to Roma FCO, and a daily nonstop to Milano MXP.

They will utilize a mix of Boeing 777-200s and Airbus 330-200s.

Nevertheless, the total number of weekly seats out of JFK will be significantly less than in the 1970s, when Alitalia had three daily 747s out of JFK to Italy!!!!

In fairness, I should note that in the 1970s, Alitalia did not have flights out of MIA or LAX (although they did operate for a few years out of Detroit, Philadelphia and Washington, D.C).

The Garden State
Level Contributor
64 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alitalia cancels service from Newark to Rome

We have traveled to Catania via Rome with Alitalia from Newark for past 20 years. They have cancelled all flights from Newark and have added more flights departing from JFK.

This might be a permanent move as per Italian agents I've spoken to.

In my opinion, it's a horrible decision & will inconvenience many travelers.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
107,960 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Alitalia cancels service from Newark to Rome

But you can achieve the same route by booking the Delta/Alitalia codeshares on Delta.

airliners.net/aviation-forums/…

Vagabonda

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alitalia cancels service from Newark to Rome

Concentrating all flights into JFK may allow Alitalia to remain on the "top 20 carrier" list for that airport, which it had been in danger of losing of late.

I agree that dropping EWR is bad, because much less than 100% of that AZ traffic will migrate to JFK.

"Big league" operators fly out of both airports (e.g. British, Lufthansa, Air France). Alitalia dropped out of the "big league" decades ago. The number of available passenger seats out of the New York area peaked in the 1970s (when 747 aircraft were used), and have never regained their historic highs.

Alitalia started up EWR many years ago, when it had a robust marketing arrangement with Continental. One aircraft of each operator was even repainted with Alitalia colors on one side, and Continental colors on the other side!

Then Alitalia switched its allegiance to Delta/Air France/KLM, and cut ties with Continental.

Continental is now part of United, with whom Alitalia had a marketing arrangement in the years before the marketing arrangement with Continental.

Alitalia has also cut the number of U.S. gateways by more than 50%. Consider the cities which have been relegated to the "dust bin" of history:

Detroit

Philadelphia

Washington, D.C.

San Francisco

Newark

Which cities are left?

ONLY JFK, BOS and MIA, now that ORD and LAX have become seasonal!

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alitalia cancels service from Newark to Rome

This interests me directly, because I often go to Philadelphia, where I have friends and family. From our local airport, I can use either Lufthansa (with a stopover in Munich) or Alitalia (with a stopover in Rome). Neither airline services Philadelphia very well from either of these stopover cities, so I usually fly into Newark and take the train from the airport to Philadelphia, which is convenient and quick. Flying into JFK would be very inconvenient.

I just tried hypothetical flights, and don't see anything with Alitalia, nor with Delta, that doesn't involve an extra stopover, such as in Detroit or Paris. I suppose I'll have to always fly with Lufthansa from now on. Their service from our local airport to Rome has recently been in the hands of a Hungarian airline, whose planes have more than once been forced to turn back because of mechanical problems, so I was more or less decided not to use Alitalia anymore anyway.

I also tried just looking for direct flights from Newark to FCO, and it seems that only Lufthansa and United (a Lufthansa code share) offer them.

Italian news sources have been talking recently about an Air France buyout of Alitalia. The last time there was talk of this, our Dear Leader fended it off with a complicated deal which involved a lot of his buddies putting up the money to buy Alitalia, promising not to sell it for five years, when its sale would no longer be on his watch. I'm sure they could have got a better deal five years ago. It certainly hasn't rebuilt its business in the intervening years.

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alitalia cancels service from Newark to Rome

QUOTE:

"Their service from our local airport to Rome has recently been in the hands of a Hungarian airline, whose planes have more than once been forced to turn back because of mechanical problems, so I was more or less decided not to use Alitalia anymore anyway."

So as not to malign our Hungarian friends, the carrier which Alitalia uses for some of its domestic flights (including Ancona/Rome) is Romanian!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,690 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Alitalia cancels service from Newark to Rome

I was clutching a ticket that summer of 2008 for a September Alitalia flight while the news was about whether they would or would not go belly up; I figured what the heck and hung in there and there was that deal put into place and off we went.

I had thought that the solution to the current situation would have been done already- I read about the Air France possibility weeks ago and the article implied that whatever was going to happen was going to happen very soon - but, of course - never as reported.

NJ
Level Contributor
131 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Alitalia cancels service from Newark to Rome

Thanks for the advice, cog1027.

We have been planning a trip from EWR and noticed a few months ago that there were no flights from EWR to FCO on Alitalia on Wednesdays and Fridays. Then there appeared to be even fewer options with EWR.

Now I suppose they have taken care of the other 5 days as well. Perhaps some other airline will move to fill in the gap Til then, JFK it is.

C'est la vie!

Edited: 29 January 2013, 02:16
Encino, California...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Alitalia cancels service from Newark to Rome

From what I've been reading, Alitalia is in serious financial trouble. As much as I would like to book my entire family on the non stop flights from LAX to FCO, it appears to be a huge risk. See this link below for details.

http://columnwriting.potomacschool.wikispaces.net/Future+of+Alitalia+Bleak