We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which guide for tour with elementary age child?

Providence, RI
Level Contributor
674 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
which guide for tour with elementary age child?

There are so many guide recommendations that I am overwhelmed. Has anyone had experience with any of the guides below and children? It will be myself, my husband and my 9 y.o. son in mid June, for the Vatican and for the Forum (on different days).

Agnes Crawford. www.understandingrome.com.

Context Travel (family tours)

uriharesh@gmail.com

rome-tours.com (Daniella Hunt?)

francesca Caruso francescainroma@gmail.com

Barbara Nancinelli <barbara.nacinelli@gmail.com>

Maesano-Rome Luisa <l.maesano@gmail.com>

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
33,159 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which guide for tour with elementary age child?

Personally, I wouldn't take a 9 year old on a tour of the Vatican museums in June. It will be extremely crowded and she'll mostly end up seeing the backside of the people in front of her.

Donna

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
370 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which guide for tour with elementary age child?

The best guide I've ever used was Daniela Hunt of Mirabilia Urbis Tours. Her web site is http://www.rome-tours.com/

I emailed her and we worked out an itinerary that was perfect. She is an amazing scholar and teacher. I'd highly recommend her.

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,814 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which guide for tour with elementary age child?

We also used Daniela Hunt, and I think she would be excellent for a 9 year old. She was very good at tailoring the tour for me, my daughter (13?), and my mother all at the same time. However, the Vatican Museums are not her specialty. She focuses on one particular area or type of art (can't remember exactly), so you would need to check with her on that. We went on a tour of the Colosseum (including Underground), Forum, and Palatine Hill, which was all day.

She has some interesting tours that she says are tailored for kids, so you might ask her about that if you'd rather do that than the Vatican. One included the Villa Farnesina, I think, so there was still art that was covered.

We ended up doing the Vatican on our own and mainly just visited the parts that are on the way to the Sistine Chapel. It was crowded but not unbearable. I do recommend buying tix in advance, however.

Edited: 29 January 2013, 19:42
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: which guide for tour with elementary age child?

I also wouldn't take a small child to the Vatican Museums in June, which is at the height of the high season. If it can't be avoided, I wouldn't hire a private guide, because they always have a three hour minimum, and I don't think any child could bear it for that long. I would get the audio guide so you can go at your own pace and get out of there if it's unbearable. They have an audio tour for children, but I think it's geared to an age younger than 9. You might want to get just the adult audio tours and explain things to the child.

Providence, RI
Level Contributor
674 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: which guide for tour with elementary age child?

thank you. I have emailed Daniella Hunt about touring the Forum and the Colisseum.

As for the Vatican, Context tours has a tour for families that begins at 8 AM and might be good at dodging most of the crowds. However they give a very good warning about it. I may just opt to show him st. peter's basilica (and let him climb to the top), and pass on the rest. I have been before, many years ago, so perhaps I will just let my husband go in alone.

I appreciate all the advice!

BTW, what is your feeling about Pompei with a child that age?

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: which guide for tour with elementary age child?

In June, Pompeii can be very hot, and there is little shade. Also, the trip is rather long. I once visited Pompeii (in August) as a day trip from Rome, with my adult daughter, and we were exhausted when we got back to Rome. A lot would depend on the child and the weather. You might want to leave the decision to the last minute.

You might consider the ancient Roman port city of Ostia Antica as an alternative.

http://ostia-antica.org/

I went there with three of my brother's daughters, two of whom were aged 10 and 11, and they loved it. They were able to sit on the seats of the ancient Roman theatre, stand behind the counter in an ancient Roman bar, visit an ancient Roman toilet, with intact seats, and climb to the upper floor of an ancient Roman apartment building.

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,814 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: which guide for tour with elementary age child?

My daughter loved Pompeii when she went. In fact, she wanted to go back the next day. It was a long day trip, but well worth it for us. We went in April, and it was hot, but I think we found a few spots in the shade of walls. We bought our tickets on the day, so that is definitely a possibility. Here's a link to my trip report with the day trip to Pompeii for the details. (Pompeii is post 31.)

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k44598…

Providence, RI
Level Contributor
674 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: which guide for tour with elementary age child?

We are going to Pompei from Positano with a driver, so that will make the day a bit shorter. After Pompei, we will take the train from Naples to Rome, just not sure yet whether we will pay to have the driver wait for us, and take us to the Naples train station, or take the local train to Naples.

I can always add ostia antica on to Rome as well. Between the paestum, pompei and the Ancient sites in Rome, he may have had enough.

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: which guide for tour with elementary age child?

Ciao~ I am not sure if you can help me but I am trying to get in touch with a Roman tour guide named Barbara Nancinelli. Do you happen to know her? Thank you~ Nora

Providence, RI
Level Contributor
674 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: which guide for tour with elementary age child?

I don't know her, but she was recommended to me by a travel agent who specializes in Italy. She might have better contact information: Joyce Falcone info@italianconcierge.com

I have reserved Daniella Hunt, and she has been lovely and patient in email correspondence

Edited: 16 March 2013, 02:06