We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How reliable is the Terravision Shuttle?

Marysville
Level Contributor
241 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
How reliable is the Terravision Shuttle?

We have to catch a flight from Rome Ciampino Airport on Easyjet, which we would like to check in 2 hrs before flight time. Is the Terravision Shuttle that leaves Termini reliable about getting people to the airport on time (24Euros) or should I hire a private driver?

UK
Level Contributor
301 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How reliable is the Terravision Shuttle?

Type Ciampino into "search"( or try termini) and you should find my account of terravision Ciampino- termini connection. I got to my flight on time, but allow for traffic delays. Allow time for finding them on via Marsala on the return leg of your journey too. There is a fair walk to their departure point from termini if you use the Metro and have lugguge but i found them a reasonable deal.

Castledermot...
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How reliable is the Terravision Shuttle?

Would only use them to get from airport to city not the other way round. they have no queing system so if there is a big crowd it is survival of the fittest as to whether you get on. I' d get a taxi.

UK
Level Contributor
301 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How reliable is the Terravision Shuttle?

there is a Terravision coach which more or less ties in with the flight arrivals, i booked it via easyjet website. it looked a bit chaotic organisation wise but we all got on board and got to termini. It was a slow journey, especially the first few miles due to traffic . it was even more chaotic on the return journey from termini, as it is not automatically clear which coach you should board, there were several and massive queues everywhere (largely due to lack of organisation) so even though you have a pre-booked ticket with the depatrure time you may end up on a different coach , like I did. But I got there, no problem. On a Sunday morning there was little traffic so it took about 30 minutes to get to ciampino, it takes much longer during the week.

I believe there is also a local bus which takes you to a train station where you change for termini, I might try it next time to see the difference.

Ciao, Helen, I found my old post, it very much describes what the other poster refers to! she may have a point about returning by taxi! Otherwise, good luck!

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
76 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How reliable is the Terravision Shuttle?

I used the Terravision service from/to Ciampino earlier this week. A couple of grumbles:

1) the stop isn't signposted. When you come out of arrivals bear left towards Departures, keep going past the door, keep going... and it's the bus stop in front of you next to a ramp - look out for the queue. Do NOT head for the sheltered bus stops on the right as you leave arrivals - Terravision stop is just that - a stop - there is no shelter and its on the left of the carpark not the right.

2) I landed in the middle of a hail storm. And there was already a huge queue for the bus as one hadn't arrived for over 40 minutes. So I got soaked to the skin (no shelter remember). First bus came and about half the queue got on it, the rest of us had to wait another 30 minutes

3) Journey time into Rome is wildly variable due to the traffic so buses going into the city can arrive at Ciampino at anytime. Last Tuesday landing at 10am I got into Termini at 12.50. Coming back on Thursday I left Termini at 06.45 and was having an espresso at Ciampino at 7.25.

4) Don't try getting information out of the Terravision staff in Arrivals - the ones at the desk were too busy gossiping to speak to me - far better off just heading over to Departures and looking for the queue.

5) On the route back there appear to be no bus stops on Via Marsala. Get return times from your hotel and loiter around the parked coaches and look out for the flourescent yellow jackets of the staff.

But.. after all that it is relatively cheap - I booked through the link on the easyjet website, think it cost about £9.50 for a return, and the service back was very quick so early in the morning.

UK
Level Contributor
301 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How reliable is the Terravision Shuttle?

Gosh, Grant, you were unlucky with the hailstorm and the waiting. but your account rings the bell - there is no clear-signposted bus stop as such. I sort off stumbled upon the coaches, there were not many people at ciampino (but then it was late November and plane only half- full, obviously the best time to travel). my journey to termini took well over an hour, the plus was, the driver (who was taking on his mobile non-stop while eating a sandwich at the same time, the coach just drove on - or rather was stuck in traffic) took the route parallel to Via Appia and I could see the ancient ruins from my seat which helped to while away the journey. And you're right, it's cheap and i could not really contemplate taxi fare on my own. But next time I'm trying the normal city bus (at least they have the shelter) to Agnanini, and then on to Termini -has anyone done that? Anyway, i sort of expected the worst and it wasn't too bad except for the time of the journey.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
2,980 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How reliable is the Terravision Shuttle?

Yes, I did the normal public transport route last year, feeling up to the challenge of getting into the city centre for less than 5 euros with my basic knowledge of Italian. Its ok, a bit of humping of luggage on and off, but ok. You get the local bus to Anagnina, a big bus/metro station; takes about 40 minutes depending on traffic. Then hump yourself and luggage off the bus down to the metro, get a ticket- only 1euro!- and get on the metro which whisks you up to Rome centre very quickly, about 30 minutes, lots of stops. You can't get the wrong train to town because Anagnina is the end of the line A..Possibly the best value public transport ride of my life, as my hotel was near the Vatican and I stayed on the train til the Vatican stop! if you travel light, its fine, but not so good with a heavy case!

Marysville
Level Contributor
241 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How reliable is the Terravision Shuttle?

Sounds like we'd be better off with a private driver. I had a quote for 35 Euros from our hotel on Via Nazionale to Ciampino, compared with 24 Euros for the 3 of us on Terravision.

UK
Level Contributor
301 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How reliable is the Terravision Shuttle?

Hi Helen, sounds like taxi is a better choice for you, and you're coming from a long transatlantic flight unlike the short hop from the UK. I travel budget and enjoy the challenge of it.

Loddington, thanks for your account of the public transport, I'm definitely going to try this one next time!

Georgia
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: How reliable is the Terravision Shuttle?

Terravision is completely unreliable and rude.

10. Re: How reliable is the Terravision Shuttle?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2009, 00:16