We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Church of St Paul of Three Fountains/ Laurentina

Summersville, West...
Level Contributor
1,170 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Church of St Paul of Three Fountains/ Laurentina

In my research I have learned that according to legend St. Paul was beheaded at the above church and its metro stop is at Laurentina. May I have directions to find it once we ge to this stop?

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,691 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Church of St Paul of Three Fountains/ Laurentina

I St Paul outside the Walls is where St Paul is buried.

That basilica';s metro stop is Basilica San Paulo. this google map show the Metro stop and that church (orange postman marker)

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms…

St paul of the three fountains is the blue man marker on this google map and you can see the Laurentina metro sop marker as the red square with a white M on it.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms…

Summersville, West...
Level Contributor
1,170 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Church of St Paul of Three Fountains/ Laurentina

lupaling, thanks so much! I am still learning, and I truly appreciate all of your help.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Church of St Paul of Three Fountains/ Laurentina

The legend says that the three fountains were created when the Apostle's head bounced three times. St. Paul was beheaded instead of crucified because he was a Roman citizen. Crucifixion, a horrendous form of execution, was reserved for non-Roman citizens. One of the emperors had extended Roman citizenship to all natives of Tarsus, St. Paul's birthplace, in gratitude for something or other, that I don't remember.

Summersville, West...
Level Contributor
1,170 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Church of St Paul of Three Fountains/ Laurentina

bvlenci, thanks for the clarification. :) Do you know of any history of his activities in Rome, how long he lived there, what he might have done as he worked his way there, etc.?,

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Church of St Paul of Three Fountains/ Laurentina

Saint Paul was under house arrest in Rome for some time. In the Christian scriptures, the Acts of the Apostles has many details about his trip to Rome and his arrest there, and some of his letters make reference to this period. I don't think there are any historical records other than those, but there are some references from later periods, which have no historical confirmation. For example, a number of later writers say that he traveled as far as Spain, although there is nothing about this in his letters or the Acts of the Apostles.

Even the fact that St. Paul was executed is first mentioned 50 years afterwards, and that account says nothing about his being beheaded, so all of that is legend, or tradition, if you will.

Legend says that both St. Paul and St. Peter were imprisoned in the Mamertine prison, just outside the Roman Forum, but this is almost certainly not a historical fact. This prison was used in ancient times for important foreign state prisoners, which neither of the apostles was. It's especially unlikely that St. Paul was held there, as he was a Roman citizen.

Edited: 04 February 2013, 12:39
Summersville, West...
Level Contributor
1,170 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Church of St Paul of Three Fountains/ Laurentina

Oh this was so interesting. I will share your accounts with my husband and daughter. Thank you so much!

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,691 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Church of St Paul of Three Fountains/ Laurentina

About St Paul

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_the_Apostle

\He lived in Jerusalem for a whle in 57-59 AD.

He arrived in Rome in 60 AD and was in house arrest for 2 years before being executed.

Summersville, West...
Level Contributor
1,170 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Church of St Paul of Three Fountains/ Laurentina

Thank you so much, lupaling! :)

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Church of St Paul of Three Fountains/ Laurentina

In Italy, he landed (as a prisoner being brought to Rome) near Pozzuoli. I've read in other sources that he arrived in Italy in 61 AD, but I don't think there's any certainty. I also think there's no certainty about the length of his imprisonment (really a house arrest) or that he was executed, although in his letters, he certainly seems to indicate that he expects to be executed.

The Acts of the Apostles has a very vivid description of the journey to Italy, including a shipwreck off Malta. The account suddenly switches to the first person at this point, indicating that at least this part of the book was written by someone who was with him on the voyage. Saint Luke is traditionally the author of the Acts of the Apostles, but he probably relied on a number of sources, and may have transcribed this account of the voyage verbatim from a letter written by someone else.

Summersville, West...
Level Contributor
1,170 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Church of St Paul of Three Fountains/ Laurentina

This is so interesting! Thanks! I love history and love hearing of Biblical accounts. When we went to Patmos, it was humbling to be in the cave where John wrote Revelations. When I looked out, I thought, "This is what John looked at!" So this is going to be very moving. We are going on the Scavi Tour! :)