We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

foot and ankle welling during flight

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
lewiston, idaho
11 posts
Save Topic
foot and ankle welling during flight

I am traveling to Italy next month and my daughter-in-law told me that I should try compression socks. She ran into trouble during her flight to England. She took her shoes off and when she got there her feet and ankle were so swollen and sore that the first two days were ruined. I sure do not want this to happen. Has anyone ever heard of this. Thanks for any input. Beverly

rome
Level Contributor
1,153 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: foot and ankle welling during flight

Very common on long haul flights .

Golden rule is to drink lots of water------leave the alcohol for when you touch down.

Get up and move around the aircraft as often as you can and also have a look at the excercises most airlines print in their in flight magazines to help your circulation.They are easy little foot and ankle movements which do help.

Wear comfortable loose fitting shoes and try to avoid taking them off during the flight.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
6,528 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: foot and ankle welling during flight

I agree with compression socks - they work very well.

Lots of water and frequent exercise is also the key. Here's the exercise sheet from Malev airlines (I just flew with them from Budapest) I did these intermittently during the 9 hour flight and they helped a lot.

malev.hu/bp/…2003-0911-1733-31CJDH.asp

Coeur D'alene, Idaho
Level Contributor
579 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: foot and ankle welling during flight

The first time it happened to me was this past summer on our flight home. I couldn't believe how swollen I was -- it actually scared the heck out of me since it lasted a day or two.

We had quite a few stops on our filght from Venice to Spokane and I was sitting next to strangers the whole way so I didn't get too comfortable or move to much.

The above poster is exactly right. Drink plenty of water, wear loose shoes (mine were way too tight) and get up and move often.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
185 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: foot and ankle welling during flight

This happened to me as well for the first time flying from Hawaii last summer. I generally don't drink a lot on flights as I don't want to have to get up to use the bathroom a lot, but I will try it on the flight to Italy to see if it really helps.

cardiff UK
Level Contributor
966 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: foot and ankle welling during flight

obviously this doesnt happen to me on a flight to Italy as it is only 2 hours from the UK but when I fly to Cuba which is 10+ hours it does. The whole of the bottom half of both my legs swell,calves,feet and ankles and this lasts 3 days . This is only on the return leg and it is because I always go to sleep for most of the journey. On the way there I get up every hour and walk about, exercise my ankles and legs whilst sitting and then I dont have any problems at all.

Level Contributor
2,852 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: foot and ankle welling during flight

Severe leg swelling can be a symptom of Deep Vein Thrombosis. This is a serious condition that can lead to a stroke. See a doctor if you have experienced swelling after long flights. Blood thinners may need to be prescribed. For prevention and treatment visit www.dvt.net

cardiff UK
Level Contributor
966 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: foot and ankle welling during flight

went to my Doctor and he wasnt concerned , it happens after every long flight I have

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,150 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: foot and ankle welling during flight

Sitting for looong periods of time is one of the bigger problems. Venous return from the legs is inhibited. I always tell folks to get up every hour or two and go to the bathroom, walk around, stretch a little, etc. I like to walk back by the galley or bathroom and stretch and maybe do some deep knee bends. I feel better, decrease the risk of clots forming in the legs, and I've never had a problem with swelling.

Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
5,470 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: foot and ankle welling during flight

Oooh, I remember the first time this happened to me! All of the above advice is great. I usually find that if I'm lucky enough to have an empty seat next to me (or I can move after the flight takes off to have an empty seat) and I put my feet and legs up as long as possible, this cuts down on the swelling. I also wear very loose sandals (in the warmer months) but I do take them off on the plane and put on socks. Even if my feet swell, I'm prepared for that with the loose fitting shoes (I have some Aerosol leather flip-flops that work great for this). If you have a bulkhead seat, try putting your feet on the wall divider in front of you. Maybe bad form, but on a long flight, comfort trumps what people may think!

London, Canada
Level Contributor
3,758 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: foot and ankle welling during flight

I always had trouble with this till using No Jet Lag homeopathic medication.....it really worked.