We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

guide me please - i made a mistake!

New York
Level Contributor
303 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
guide me please - i made a mistake!

I initially was wondering about staying 2 or 3 days in Rome and I just realized that I booked a return flight that has me spending 4 days there. Should I think about going elsewhere in Italy for an overnight?

Likely To Sell Out
Vatican Museums Skip the Line Tour...
23,462 Reviews
from US$81.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Sistine Chapel VIP Private Viewing...
538 Reviews
from US$409.50*
Special Offer
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Skip the...
11,832 Reviews
from US$60.30*
US$67.00
Likely To Sell Out
Rome Colosseum Underground Chambers...
2,923 Reviews
from US$122.80*
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: guide me please - i made a mistake!

There is way too much to see and do in Rome, 4 days isn't even enough time!!!! Just stay there!!!

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,624 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: guide me please - i made a mistake!

You will be pleasantly surprised that the extra day will be a blessing for you. You now will have more time to see a bit more of Rome. But if you get tired of it in 3 days, which I doubt, then a day trip to Tivoli, Orvieto or Naples will work well.

New York
Level Contributor
303 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: guide me please - i made a mistake!

I was just doing some reading --- and wondering if it won't be too much to do a day trip to Capri? Into the Blue Grottos? Also, if so, I did it years ago but in summer - we will be going in March - cooler - is it still a popular enjoyable trip to take the boat into the cave and then go up to Ana Capri for lunch?

Arlington, Texas
Level Contributor
951 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: guide me please - i made a mistake!

You cannot make a day trip to Capri. You came here for advice from seasoned travelers--- trust us. You can use the 4th day in Rome! Have you browsed a Rome guidebook? Way, way easy to find things to see in Rome.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,690 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: guide me please - i made a mistake!

You won't have even scratched the bare surface with 4 days - it's a nice time to be there as it isn't really that crowded yet as it will be in high season; there is just so much to enjoy. Your guidebook will reveal the many options you have - and looking at them, you will realize 4 days won't cover it.

Nice mistake to have made.

No - Capri is not a day trip from Rome.

Cookstown, United...
Level Contributor
176 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: guide me please - i made a mistake!

If you had accidentally booked an extra year in Rome you could relax . . . . for you still wouldn't run out of things to see and do.

Chris.

Eichstätt, Bayern...
Level Contributor
826 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: guide me please - i made a mistake!

As others have said, you will find that there are many things you can do within the City of Rome itself on that extra day.

You could also do a day-trip, Tivoli is close, the Castelli Romani are nearby. If you like ancient ruins and hadn't done so during your initial days you could also go to Ostia Antica.

If, you absolutely want to go to Capri, it could be done. It would make for a very long day though. You would have to take a very early morning high-speed train to Naples (70 minutes), transfer to the port (bus or tram), take a hydrofoil to the Island. The Blue Grotto could or could not be open, this depends on the sea-conditions on that particular day. You would then probably take a hydrofoil back to Naples (late afternoon), transfer back to the station, and take a high-speed train back to Rome, arriving sometime late in the evening.

Personally, I think that Rome (and surroundings) offer so much, that filling that extra day will not be a problem. With only 1 extra day, an overnight wouldn't make much sense in my opinion. Considering that you've been to Capri (albeit years ago), you can probably skip it this time.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
36,060 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: guide me please - i made a mistake!

Agree with all of the above. But if by any chance you want a change of scenery, it's only an hour to Florence on the train.

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Eichstätt, Bayern...
Level Contributor
826 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: guide me please - i made a mistake!

For Florence it's actually approx. 1 1/2 hours (each way) by either Italo or Frecciarossa high-speed train.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
139 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: guide me please - i made a mistake!

Have to be honest, it's not something I would entertain doing. It is a considerable distance away, you would be a lot of time travelling there and back, and like Sascha says there is always the risk that after all that travelling the grotto might not even be open that day! There is SO much to see and do in Rome I honestly believe Capri will be the last thing on your mind!

From a personal point of view, I wouldn't do such a large day trip on my last day anywhere. All you need is for something to go wrong and you will be stuck in Naples with no way of getting back to Rome in time to fly home, but maybe that's just me. Caution is my middle name!

If you were there for 10 days or so, I would not be so "anti" this idea. But I genuinely think on this occasion it is a non-starter.