We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lunch while visiting the Colliseum/Forum/Palantine Hill area

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles
1 post
Save Topic
Lunch while visiting the Colliseum/Forum/Palantine Hill area

We are four adults planning a trip to Rome in early May. We have booked a 3 hour private tour of the Colliseum/Forum/Palentine Hill to get the most out of it. However, we do want to see the underground of the Colliseum as well which I understand is a 90 minute tour signed up for separately. Combining those two is 4.5 hours back to back and would be exhausting. Is is possible to bring a picnic into the Colliseum/Forum area? With the idea to do the 3 hour private tour, rest and haveour picnic lunch somewhere on the grounds, then do the underground tour of the Colliseum (or vice versa). Alternatively, to do one or the other, exit the area and have lunch at a cafe, and return to do the rest. I have heard conflicting information about being able to leave and return in the same day (BTW - we are using the Romapass for the entrance).

Thanks!

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
11,678 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lunch while visiting the Colliseum/Forum/Palantine Hill area

You cannot picnic on any of the historic sites or monuments.

There's a great restaurant close by, Taverna dei Fori Imperiali: www.latavernadeiforiimperiali.com/english.htm

Your ticket for the Colosseum/Forum/Palatine Hill is a two-day combination ticket, so you can come as go as you wish.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Lunch while visiting the Colliseum/Forum/Palantine Hill area

The coliseum and forum area are covered in one ticket, but are physically separate so you would be able to break in between.

You would not be able to pic nic right in those areas, but if you cross the street from the coliseum you can have a lovely pic nic in the beautiful colle oppio park with a fantastic view of the colisseum. There is a supermarket in via dei santi quattro and a market as well as a pizza taglio place in Via san Giovanni in laterano right accross from the colisseum and the colle oppio.

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lunch while visiting the Colliseum/Forum/Palantine Hill area

I was under the impression you couldn't re-enter a site on the same ticket? That would mean once you left the Colosseum, you would not be able to go back without another ticket. Anyone know for certain? If you want to do all that in one day, I would suggest doing your 3 hour tour, having lunch nearby, then arranging the Underground tour for late afternoon (there used to be a tour around 4:30).

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
11,678 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lunch while visiting the Colliseum/Forum/Palantine Hill area

Interesting. I just read through both the English language and Italian language versions of the official web site,

In the Italian version of the site it is clear that you can only enter each of the two sites (the Roman Forum and Palatine Hill are considered one site) one time. The ticket is valid for two days so you can split the visit over two consecutive days, but you can't go back to either site twice.

This is NOT spelled out in the English language version of the site, unfortunately,

060608.it/en/…colosseo-anfiteatro-flavio.html

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lunch while visiting the Colliseum/Forum/Palantine Hill area

Els, the Roman Forum and Palatine Hill are not considered to be one site. Each has its own entrance, and, unless they've changed it very recently, you can enter each one time, over a period of two days. However, as they're connected inside, you can actually enter the Forum once and the Palatine Hill once, and see both sites each time. The Italian version of the 060608 service certainly seems to say that this can't be done.

The 060608 web site isn't the official site of the archaeological site. It the Rome Tourist office. However, it's usually quite accurate.

The official website should be the site of the Beni Archeologici di Roma, but they don't say exactly whether the Forum and Palatine Hill are two sites or one. I've just sent them an email and will report back.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,019 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lunch while visiting the Colliseum/Forum/Palantine Hill area

WE stayed by the Colloseeum in 2006 and 2011, Here is a google map of the Colosseum area with some restaurants marked.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms…

lunch is Italy is served 1-3 pm and the restaurants close fron 3-7 until they open for dinner

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
11,678 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lunch while visiting the Colliseum/Forum/Palantine Hill area

For purposes of entrance tickets the web site says they are considered one entry, seemingly regardless of whether you enter through the Palatine or the Forum entrances. It will be interesting to see (1) if they respond to your e-mail and (2) what they say.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lunch while visiting the Colliseum/Forum/Palantine Hill area

The people from Beni Archeologici responded yesterday to my email confirming that the Roman Forum and Palatine Hill are considered one site, and that you can enter the joint site only once with your joint ticket. I had mentioned that I was hoping to see the sites over two days since they were so large, and they suggested I visit in April or later, when the longer summer hours are in effect.

I've replied to the email, saying that even longer hours wouldn't help, because I was afraid I'd be too tired to see both in one day. I also asked if there were a place to eat inside.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lunch while visiting the Colliseum/Forum/Palantine Hill area

I'm confused (nothing new about that). Is there enforcement of the policy of treating the Roman Forum and Palatine Hill as one site and allowing only one entry to the joint site? It seems to contradict what I have read elsewhere. I understood that you received a three-part ticket, one for the Colosseum, one for the Forum, and one for Palatine Hill. If you enter at Palatine Hill, are both the Forum and Palatino tickets taken at entry? If not and the next day you try to enter the Forum, is there any way they know you entered the joint site via Palatine Hill the day before? Do they ask to see your Palatino ticket as well as the one for the Forum? I'll appreciate any guidance. Thanks!

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
9,867 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lunch while visiting the Colliseum/Forum/Palantine Hill area

We entered in the afternoon at the forum entrance and the next morning entered the same entrance with the same ticket ... No questions, just straight in. And then a few hours later into the colliseum bypassing the ques.

Edited: 14 February 2013, 06:40