We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our Rome Itinerary - 4 Adults and 3 Children

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
121 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Our Rome Itinerary - 4 Adults and 3 Children

We've been planning this trip for about a year now and I'm finally starting to get into the details of our time in Rome this June. I would love to get feedback on what we're planning.

We arrive around noon on a Wednesday from Lucca. We'll get checked into our apartment and will meet up with a guide for a walking tour (focused on food. :) )

Thursday AM we have a tour set up for the Vatican Museums/St. Peters. We don't have plans for Thursday afternoon though. Any suggestions?

Friday AM we have a tour set up for the Colosseum/Forum. Any suggestions for Friday afternoon?

We will have all day on Saturday as well and then fly out early on Sunday.

With such a large and varied group I think that may be the extent of our museums. Would love to get some input on activities everyone might enjoy.

2 adults are in their 60's, 2 adults in their 40's and the kids are 13,9 and 6.

Thanks!

Edited: 08 February 2013, 22:47
RomeInLimo Tours & Excursions
Private Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , City Tours, Walking Tours, Food Tours
Walks of Italy
Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Day Trips, Walking Tours
Driver Guide Service
Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, City Tours
Eyes of Rome
Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Archaeology Tours
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Our Rome Itinerary - 4 Adults and 3 Children

I would avoid the Vatican Museums, esp with the younger kids. It is unbearably crowded and June can be very hot and there is no A/C.

As far as how to fill up the rest of your trip, maybe you can all go over a guide book as a family and let everyone, esp the kids, pick out a sight or two that might interest them. I know my son loved La Bocca della Verita` (mouth of truth) as well as climbing up the Gianicolo hill for the awesome view over Rome.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,929 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Our Rome Itinerary - 4 Adults and 3 Children

Thursday afternoon:

Go hang out in Piazza Navona, eat some pizza, watch the people and rest up after your big morning in the Vatican. It's also a short walk to the Trevi Fountain. Throw your coins in!

Friday:

You may end up at the Colosseum/Forum for a good part of the day as it is an enormous area to cover, especially the Forum. If you're not totally over museums by then, the Capitoline Museum is directly behind the Forum and beside the Victor Emmanuel monument. It has a great courtyard the kids will love (the massive head, foot and hand of a colossal statue of Emperor Constantine are there) and a wonderful terrace with views all over Rome. There are also the usual priceless treasures, like the bronze She-Wolf with Romulus & Remus to see.

Depending on where you stay, try and get to Castel Saint Angelo to watch the sunset over Rome. It's amazing - all ages will love it and it's not too taxing a climb up the ramps and stairs.

Saturday: What about the Villa Borghese? If it's a nice day you can rent bikes or go boating. it's a lovely green space in Rome and you'll see all the locals doing their 'Bella Figura' walkabouts in their best clothes.

You could also take the train out to Ostia Antica and see the Roman ruins. They are similar to Pompeii without the mad, insane crowds. It's a short train trip - about 20 min - and may appeal to everyone.

Hope you enjoy your trip. Rome is just magic!

capital district ny
Level Contributor
401 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Our Rome Itinerary - 4 Adults and 3 Children

I agree that the Vatican Museum might be overwhelming for kids that age. If a couple of the adults really have an interest in the museum, they should take the tour and meet up later with the kids group.

I have taken my kids to Rome quite a few times including the Vatican Museum once. Now, they can say they have been there, but really it was not what they love about Rome. They do love Piazza Navona, Trevi Fountain, Campo de Fiori early morning market, walking around Trastevere, getting gelato,getting water from the nasone, and getting more gelato. Castel Sant'Angelo is very cool for kids- great views and a certain creepy factor. Adults love it too.

I think the Capitoline Museum is also more enjoyable for kids.

Have fun. Let us know how it goes.

Sandia Park
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Our Rome Itinerary - 4 Adults and 3 Children

Thank you all for these great suggestions. Our family is going to Rome in June as well and I need ideas for kids.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
955 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Our Rome Itinerary - 4 Adults and 3 Children

Skip the Vatican Musem with kids. The crowds make it unpleasant for adults and kids more so.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Our Rome Itinerary - 4 Adults and 3 Children

My son (21 at the time) and I spent 4 days in Rome in March, 2011. He hated the Vatican museum (crowded and boring) but loved climbing to the top of the St. Peter's Dome. LOVED the Segway tour (highly recommend, even for seniors - I was 57 and I did it :-) Don't miss the Colesseum. Consider taking the train (1 euro) to Ostia Antica. Kids love climbing and running and wandering and this was a fascinating glimpse of ancient Roman living like an open-air museum. Similar to Pompeii without the crowds.

Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
78 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Our Rome Itinerary - 4 Adults and 3 Children

These are good suggestions. I too would avoid the Vatican museums -- they're out of the way and crowded. Its hard to do them justice in less than a day and given your times its just not worth it.

Other suggestions depend on where you stay. If you stay in the "cetro storico" -- basically downtown around the Panetheon - theres something to be said for just sittibng in piazzas and walking around, maybe snagging some gelato. The panethon, by the way is awesome - no lines, free, and quick. Read up on the history of the place and enjoy it.

If you post where your're staying, I'll try and have some suggestions. Also, note that its going to be pretty cramped with the kids -- Rome hotels are much smaller than evne, say New York hotels, Bathrooms also vary dramatically - although some are over the top. Kids will love the bidet 1

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
121 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Our Rome Itinerary - 4 Adults and 3 Children

Thanks everyone. I'm really reconsidering the Vatican museum for the kids. I love the idea of Castel St. Angelo. We are staying in an apartment on Piazza Navona.

Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
78 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Our Rome Itinerary - 4 Adults and 3 Children

GREAT location ! Read up on the history of Bernini's statute. I don't remember all the details, but theres tidbits like he has one of the people frowning at a church in the square by Borromini - a rival. Also, great to watch artists do their thing, street performeres, do their thing, etc., etc. Enjoy.

Richmond, Virginia
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Our Rome Itinerary - 4 Adults and 3 Children

We are visiting Rome in July 2014 and wanted to rent a apartment for 2 Adults and 2 young kids 4,10. Any suggestions?