We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for great interesting areas to explore

montreal
Level Contributor
515 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Advice for great interesting areas to explore

I'm hoping that the weather will be good enough to walk around & explore (sick of the canadian winter)-what are some of the really elegant & interesting areas to explore . I'm staying on via cavour but I can go anywhere. Many thanks,

I'll be in rome on february 20.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,026 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for great interesting areas to explore

Are you talking about in Rome or outside of Rome?

montreal
Level Contributor
515 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice for great interesting areas to explore

Hi Momcat-in rome please

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,026 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice for great interesting areas to explore

Well, hmm, the whole city is interesting so I'm not sure what you are asking in terms of "elegant" - do you mean high end shopping? If so, head to Via Condotti near the Spanish Steps where all the designer shops are. I like the entire center of Rome: Piazza Navona, Trastevere (love this neighborhood in particular), Pantheon area, Monti, Prati, Jewish Ghetto, Campo de'Fiori - look at your map and guidebook and just head out - the whole city is amazing to explore.

I found many of my long time favorite spots by just wandering the city.

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
5,348 posts
619 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice for great interesting areas to explore

Stroll Via Margutta, just north of the Spanish Steps, one of the most beautiful streets in Rome. Here's a link to some photos: pinterest.com/spanishstepsapt/via-margutta/.

Get lost in the little streets around Via dei Coronari, browsing for antiques.

As MomCat recommends, there's Spanish Steps, Trastevere, Monti, Jewish Quarter .... love walking the gardens of Villa Borghese, an urban oasis ....

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,026 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice for great interesting areas to explore

Really - the whole city - for the most part - is a wonderland to explore; no high rise glass towers, lots of small, cobblestone streets with craftspeople making everything from jewelry to furniture, etc -

montreal
Level Contributor
515 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice for great interesting areas to explore

thank you so much-you're right-the whole of italy is fascinating & walking around is a way to just take it all in

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice for great interesting areas to explore

Simply go wandering - it's amazing what you find!

Just recently, on our 24th stay in the city, after revisiting this church...

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/san_silvcap

... we stuck our heads round the door of the next building, to find that we were in "Italy's most beautiful Post Office"....

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/sansilvposte

Peter

montreal
Level Contributor
515 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice for great interesting areas to explore

can you visit the gardens of villa borghese without buying a ticket??

Must I book it in advance?? thanks

Someone mentioned that trastevere although lovely is not the real rome-pardon me if I misquoted or the person said something similar to it-what is or where when I walk what is the "real rome"-pardon my ignorance.

Minneapolis, Mn.
Level Contributor
99 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice for great interesting areas to explore

There is no charge to visit the gardens right next to villa borghese. As I recall, they were not particularly memorable although the entire park is worth a peaceful visit after roaming the hectic streets surrounding.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice for great interesting areas to explore

We've enjoyed several strolls through the Borghese - and were most surprised to spot a London landmark hidden away there!

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/globe

Trastevere's well worth a look - a lot of it is housing, but a museum or two, gardens and some fine churches...

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/trastev_churches

It actually covers a huge area - and the little 125 buses might help in hopping from one part to another?

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/electric_buses

Peter