We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Military Cemetaries or historic sites

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Military Cemetaries or historic sites

Please advise me on Anzio or other sites of WW2. I would like to pay tribute to fellow Americans who were there before me.I am open to suggestions.

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
5,081 posts
556 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Military Cemetaries or historic sites

Here is a terrific guide to WWII in Italy, including but certainly not limited to American military cemeteries:

luc.edu/media/…20Edition.pdf

Here's a link for the American cemetery at Nettuno:

www.abmc.gov/cemeteries/cemeteries/sr.php

There's also a thread going on right now about visiting the Nettuno and Anzio cemeteries:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k53108…

Hope this helps!

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Military Cemetaries or historic sites

Thank you so much! More than I could have hoped for! I am reading this excellent history and am amazed by it. Invaluable information. There is so much to learn.

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
5,081 posts
556 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Military Cemetaries or historic sites

So glad to have helped! Lots of books on the topic (such as The Battle for Rome: The Germans, the Allies, the Partisans, and the Pope, September 1943--June 1944) as well if you want to read further, and some movies like "Rome, Open City" that give you a feeling for the life there at that difficult time.

WWII Italy is fascinating as well as close to my heart. My father was stationed in Rome with US military intelligence in WWII. Later he was captured by the Nazis and imprisoned in a POW camp in Torgau (he was there when the Americans met up with the Russians at the Elbe). After the war, he returned to Rome, the city he had fallen in love with. I was born there many years later, when he was a spry 60-year-old! So, I've developed a great love for the history of Rome, a little of piece of which belongs to my family.

Arlington, Texas
Level Contributor
937 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Military Cemetaries or historic sites

SpanishSteps- that is fascinating! You surely have a great story to tell your grandkids! :) I suspect there were a lot of Italian-American kids born the same year you were. :)

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Military Cemetaries or historic sites

Unlikely, as Michael says his father was 60 at the time; it must have been about 40 years later.

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,045 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Military Cemetaries or historic sites

It is also possible to do a day trip to Cassino, although it is pricy as I would recommend a guide. We paid €450 for the day, which included the guide and the driver, but it was a great day.

There's the Museum of the Resistance in Rome. You can also visit the Ardeatine Caves where the Germans massacred 10 Italians for every 1 Nazi policeman killed in a bombing by the resistance.

www.ushmm.org/wlc/en/article.php…

We used a book on WWII sights in Italy. I think it was this one (can't find it right now):

http://tinyurl.com/a6e6ywm

I also have this one which is good but not specific to Italy:

http://tinyurl.com/bbhvxc9

Ah, I just noticed that Amazon says I bought that Italy one, so I guess it is the one I used.

Here's a link to my trip report where we visited these places (except the Ardeatine Caves as I didn't realize they were closed on Easter...).

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k44598…

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
5,081 posts
556 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Military Cemetaries or historic sites

bvlenci is correct -- I was born in Rome in 1970 -- many years after the end of the war! It was an amazing time and place to grow up.

- David

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Military Cemetaries or historic sites

Thank you! Just went to Amazon and bought the recommended books and read the article. Now I am reading about your Mother, Daughter adventures in Rome.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Military Cemetaries or historic sites

Sorry, David, I was mistaken about your name, though.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Military Cemetaries or historic sites

Possibly of no interest, but in Rome there's a museum dedicated to the Italian Infantry and their offshoots - immediately next to the Basilica of Santa Croce in Gerusalemme, in the Piazza of the same name.

Amongst ruins from a much earlier age they're currently hosting some exhibits from the Tank Corps, including these two:

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/147646401

If there, the church would also be well worth a look - and you even can get a quick peek through the gates at what remains from the city's "other" amphitheatre:

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/146403991

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/146408354

Peter